ADFFS 2.58 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.58 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon, these are the test version results with SWIV and the rest, using the test modules:
-With NO 50Hz mode in config.txt, the game works right. In fact, it does the same with the normal modules.
-With 50Hz mode in config.txt AND "set ADFFS$50Hz true", all games go directly to a black screen. That includes SWIV, of course.
-With 50Hz mode in config.txt AND NO "set ADFFS$50Hz true", SWIV hangs on the tittle screen but the music keeps playing.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: I have been testing this version and seems good with the exit combination working on most games! Some fail to exit, however, like Lemmings, The Dungeon, Diggers, Cataclysm, Checkered Flag, Fireball 2, Heroquest, The Last Ninja, PipeMania, Simon The Sorcerer...
With today's build, I've run all the games on a Pi3 in the order above, without reboot inbetween - quitting via CTRL-SHIFT-F12 and then immediately booting the next game, results below:

Lemmings - OK
The Dungeon - OK
Diggers - OK
Cataclysm - OK
Chequered Flag - Can't quit from the car, but OK from the menu (see Last Ninja comment)
Fireball 2 - OK
Hero Quest - OK
The Last Ninja - Can't quit via CTRL-SHIFT-F12. I think I know how to resolve this, by ensuring ADFFS' EventV handler is top of the list. Will investigate.
Pipe Mania - failed to start (caused by Lemmings.) After a reboot - OK
Simon the Sorcerer - didn't test as the installer is failing on Pi3

One thing I have noticed is CLib based games possibly aren't resetting the environment correctly. I do need to go through all the Boot scripts and ensure they're all killing any 32bit tracker Modules they load, this may be why Pipe Mania fails after previously running Lemmings

Today's obey.zip includes a Boot script for Zodiac - Aries: Square Route, which appears to work okay on the Pi3.
Vanfanel wrote:@Jon, these are the test version results with SWIV and the rest, using the test modules:
-With NO 50Hz mode in config.txt, the game works right. In fact, it does the same with the normal modules.
-With 50Hz mode in config.txt AND "set ADFFS$50Hz true", all games go directly to a black screen. That includes SWIV, of course.
-With 50Hz mode in config.txt AND NO "set ADFFS$50Hz true", SWIV hangs on the tittle screen but the music keeps playing.
Hmm...back to the drawing board then.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Today's build fixes an issue where vectors within 26bit Modules weren't being released when the Modules were forcibly killed. They also get Fire & Ice working on Pi2/3

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it may also fix CTRL-SHIFT-F12 in Chequered Flag and The Last Ninja
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

The latest obey.zip gets Enter The Realm and Enter The Realm [SA version] working, you'll probably want the SA version as the original is hardcoded to ADFS::0. The original also seems to be setting the screen borders incorrectly, which I need to investigate.

Note that !SOUNDS needs to have been seen before you run the game if you copy to HD. Either put it in the same folder as !Realm, or you can put it within the !Realm directory and alter the Set statement at the beginning of the Boot script instead of deleting it, when you overwrite !Run with it.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:
-Enter the Realm works on the Pi2
-Fire & Ice works on the Pi2
-Zodiac - Aries: Square Route works on the Pi2

And I have also confirmed the games on your list also exit OK now with CTRL+SHIFT+F12
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've fixed a bug in the latest Modules and obey.zip to get the UCS version of BlastOn working - although I've yet to sort out the speed issues...that's a far bigger task! It also fixes a bug in OS_ReadModeVariable that was affecting Arcendium.

I've spotted an issue with using CTRL-SHIFT-F12 to quit some games that are run from BASIC. If you don't see "Press SPACE or click mouse to continue" on a black screen after pressing CTRL-SHIFT-F12, the JIT hasn't shutdown cleanly and you'll need to reboot before running the next game.

I believe I've now fixed most of the issues so we can start regression testing on the known working games. No mean feat as we're now at 200

The target platform is Pi1, Pi2/3 probably aren't worth spending time testing as there are still instruction differences between ARMv6, ARMv7 and ARMv8 (ie AArch32) that need tracking down. Most games work, but some some don't, such as Command Ship.

Issues I'm aware of:
  • Carnage Inc fails to load due to changes in the way pipelining of STR Rx, [PC, #-4] is handled
  • DarkWood installer fails to notice disc changes
  • Quest for Gold crashes
  • SWIV hangs if the monitor refresh rate is 50Hz
  • Going directly to a 1/2/4 bit MODE after immediately starting the JIT goes to an 8bit equivalent. Changing MODE again then works.
  • CTRL-SHIFT-F12 doesn't work when a BASIC program calls machine code that has its own Exit handler
  • QUIT from BASIC causes a Branch through Zero Abort
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I don't get this part:

"The target platform is Pi1, Pi1/3 probably aren't worth spending time testing"

So, Pi1 is the target? How comes Pi1/Pi3 aren't worth spending time testing at the same time?
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

I assumed a simple typo - "The target platform is Pi1, Pi2/3 probably aren't worth spending time testing" is the correct thing which also fits with the second part related to ARMv7 - where there is another typo, the first "ARMv7" probably means ARMv5/ARMv6.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Typo, now corrected.

Testing is becoming a real issue due to the sheer scope of it, so I might release this as beta and then start the testing.

We need more testers to help with Pi2, Pi3, Archimedes and RiscPC. This would help work out the definitive list of what works on what platforms and free me up to concentrate on development.

I also want to package up and host the games we can release and allow nightly builds to be updated via PackMan. It's very time consuming packaging due to way the metadata has to be manually entered.
richw

Post by richw »

Is there anything others (e.g. me!) can do to help? Do you need metadata files creating for PackMan? Specific games testing?