ADFFS 2.58 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.58 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Now it works! What a great feeling this game has! First time I took off I was very impressed by the sense of space, speed...
There's sometimes when it goes to a black screen instead of asking for the second floppy disk: I'd say it works correctly 3/4 times.
Would it be a way to keep with the smooooothnes of flying (50fps!) without the game being so fast? Well, at 25FPS it will look great anyway, I am sure.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Would it be a way to keep with the smooooothnes of flying (50fps!) without the game being so fast? Well, at 25FPS it will look great anyway, I am sure.
Not really. As with most games from back in the day, they were coded with a fixed speed in mind so don't add extra frames in when a machine is quicker.

I suspect the original was possibly 12.5fps but I've yet to do a side by side comparison to find out. Try knocking it down to 25fps and see if it's playable (CTRL-SHIFT-PgUp 4 times)
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: At 25fps the game seems pretty much playable! And still looks great...
Can it be set to start at 25fps somehow on the obey file?

Also, with this version, it seems Burn'Out is going to a black screen after intro or during intro sometimes.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Can it be set to start at 25fps somehow on the obey file?
I've updated the boot script to force it to 25fps, until I have a chance to confirm what speed it should be running at.
Vanfanel wrote:Also, with this version, it seems Burn'Out is going to a black screen after intro or during intro sometimes.
There's going to be a few like this, until I find a way to fix the underlying issue. As a temporary fix, ensure there's an ADFRemapVideoMemory in the boot script, if not add ADFRemapVideoMemory 13 160 to the top.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon, I tried adding the ADFRemapVideoMemory 13 160 command on the boot script (!Run to be exact as the game is installed in my HDD for faster testing with new ADFFS versions) and still it's hanging after the intro. Now the last audio sample keeps playing but that's the only difference. It's on a Pi2: a friend has borrowed my Pi1 to experiment with Risc OS (I am like a Risc OS prophet around here :D)

Chocks Away is still running at 50FPS on thd Pi2 with today's modules and obey.
Also, I have tried high and low to install Chocks Away with no success, could you please instruct me?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I tried adding the ADFRemapVideoMemory 13 160 command on the boot script (!Run to be exact as the game is installed in my HDD for faster testing with new ADFFS versions) and still it's hanging after the intro. Now the last audio sample keeps playing but that's the only difference. It's on a Pi2: a friend has borrowed my Pi1 to experiment with Risc OS (I am like a Risc OS prophet around here :D)
I'll test when I get a chance, I've uploaded todays build if you want to see if its any different.
Vanfanel wrote:Chocks Away is still running at 50FPS on thd Pi2 with today's modules and obey.
No, it doesn't appear to be having any affect. I'll need to investigate.
Vanfanel wrote:Also, I have tried high and low to install Chocks Away with no success, could you please instruct me?
It's hardcoded to run from ADFS::0 so won't run from HD unfortunately.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: No changes with yesterday's version.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:Chocks Away is still running at 50FPS on thd Pi2 with today's modules and obey.
No, it doesn't appear to be having any affect. I'll need to investigate.
Updated Chocks Away floppy images and Modules on the dev site, which resolve this issue.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Also, with this version, it seems Burn'Out is going to a black screen after intro or during intro sometimes.
Should be fixed in the build I've just uploaded.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated Modules and obey.zip on the dev site, which get Chopper Force running in Pi1/Pi3. It's fixed at 20 fps - rather an odd choice if you ask me. The main controls are:

I - start engine
Up/Down Arrows - Collective
Left/Right Arrows - Yaw
Mouse - Cyclic