ADFFS 2.57 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.57 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Should I re-test compatible games too?

EDIT: Hadn't seen your question about Cannon Fodder HDD/Floppy differences! Will try it.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: Should I re-test compatible games too?
Yes please, just pick a random selection.
Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: Hadn't seen your question about Cannon Fodder HDD/Floppy differences! Will try it.
I suspect it's the 50hz check failing occasionally.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

On a random selection of games, most work.
However, Last Ninja fails on blinking cursor, and Dune II exits if I click button mouse during the intro...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:On a random selection of games, most work.
However, Last Ninja fails on blinking cursor, and Dune II exits if I click button mouse during the intro...
Thanks, I'll investigate - Dune is failing after 2.57j (13-06-16)

The Last Ninja is working for me, try the build I've just put up. This is work-in-progress, I'm having to rewrite the whole MODE change procedure to prevent the blitter locking the machine when switching from the desktop to a blitted video mode. It's working enough to support non-Wimp games, so hopefully you shouldn't notice a difference.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: with today's version, Ninja works again but Dune hangs before the first logo now, and Cannon Fodder hangs on the "loading cannon fodder" text.

EDIT: A lot of games hang now, it's as if ADFFS wasn't able to chang video mode now
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: with today's version, Ninja works again but Dune hangs before the first logo now, and Cannon Fodder hangs on the "loading cannon fodder" text.
I've not looked at Dune yet, I expect it's related to the Environment handler changes. At least The Last Ninja is okay.
Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: A lot of games hang now, it's as if ADFFS wasn't able to chang video mode now
I did say it was work-in-progress ;)

The mode change code is getting a complete overhaul and a few bits need recoding, I've essentially moved all the code that sets up the GPU from ADFRemapVideoMemory, to Service_PreModeChange / Service_ModeChange / Service_ModeChanging. Once complete, this will allow apps to switch between the native GraphicsV driver (running the desktop) and the ADFFS GraphicsV driver (running legacy modes).

In hindsight I should have coded it this way in the first place :roll: however, I initially struggled to get the GPU logical/physical addresses, so opted for an easy workaround.

In last night build (which was mid-code change), I confirmed it was switching modes from the commandline, but hadn't done any in-game testing beyond seeing if a game launched (Ballarena). Until I've finished the coding, there's no point testing this as I know there are sections of code missing or wrong.

EDIT: Cannon Fodder seems to work okay for me :?
Let me know a few that fail, so I know which need checking when I've finished the recode.

EDIT2: New build up, almost finished the recode.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Pending bug fixes, the mode change recode is complete...and the end result is that Elite now works :D

Grab the latest Modules and obey.zip, download the Elite ADF from Ian Bell's website, copy !Elite to your HD and replace !Run with F1064501 commenting out the 1st line.

There are still some issues to resolve. CLib func:system is locking the machine, so I've turned it off in Elite for the time being - they're using it to disable Escape, so not a major showstopper. Quiting Elite causes a crash.

Do not use your Pi for anything whilst Elite is loaded - I've yet to add tracking of Wimp task numbers, so it will currently lock the machine if anything runs whilst Elite is loaded.

EDIT: Dune is failing due to changes in OS_FSControl, I'm investigating
EDIT2: Dune now fixed
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I was going to try Elite on the Pi (can't wait, can't wait! :D) but it seems current obey zip is missing F1064501. Can you check, please?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Sorry, forgot to upload the new obey.zip, it's there now.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: games previously failing are working now, testing randomly. Elite works great on the Pi!
Also, Cannon Fodder is now slow-motion ALWAYS and shows tearing on the lower part of the screen.
You can see it very easily if you try it in a 50HZ mode.
(Other games have normal speed)