ADFFS 2.56 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.56 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon, some observations on those:
-Birds of War seems to work, but I can't see instructions on F1004201 to install it and disk swapping is insane :D
-Rick Dangerous works great from floppy, but I installed it to HDD and sound effects don't play anymore. Strange...
-Wonderland works too! However, I can't install it: I tried to install it manually, copying over rsc from each floppy, even added 1st disk mounting to the obey file (just in case it could be protected) but it kicks me back to the desktop after the mad hater picture. It has a basic installer but I don't know what ADFS unit I should tell it to install into.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon, some observations on those:
-Birds of War seems to work, but I can't see instructions on F1004201 to install it and disk swapping is insane :D
Have you updated obey.zip? I've just checked the copy on the dev site and it does contain the instructions:

Code: Select all

| To install to HD:
| 1. Copy !BirdOfWar from disc 1 to your HD
| 2. Open !BirdOfWar on your HD via SHIFT-DOUBLE CLICK
| 3. Copy !KeyDef from disc 1 to the !BirdOfWar directory
| 4. Copy the contents of discs 2 to 7 to the !BirdOfWar directory
| 5. Replace !BirdOfWar.!Run with this file, deleting everything above this
|    section
| 6. Copy the disc 1 floppy image into the !BirdOfWar folder and rename it
|    F1004201
Vanfanel wrote:-Rick Dangerous works great from floppy, but I installed it to HDD and sound effects don't play anymore. Strange...
You'll possibly need to mount the floppy and run it from that. It may have a hardcoded path.
Vanfanel wrote:-Wonderland works too! However, I can't install it: I tried to install it manually, copying over rsc from each floppy, even added 1st disk mounting to the obey file (just in case it could be protected) but it kicks me back to the desktop after the mad hater picture. It has a basic installer but I don't know what ADFS unit I should tell it to install into.
You want to enter "sdfs::0" for the harddisc and "Games" for the folder, which would install to sdfs::0.$.Games.!wonderla
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon, here are my new findings regardin these games:
-Birds of War can be installed using these instructions, yes. I understood previously that you were referring to the floppy disk image, so that's where I was looking for these instructions, instead of looking in the right place that is the obery file! Sorry about that.
-There's nothing wrong with Rick Dangerous: I was being killed by the rock before effects started playing, which doesn't happen until music ends... oh well... my fault again.
-Wonderland can be installed via it's installer as you indicated, but then it does the same as with manual installation. It takes me back to the desktop after the (awesome) mad hater picture. I overwrote !Run with the corresponding obey file in obey.zip, and removed the line changing directory to the ADFFS unit, as usual.
I tried having the first disk mounted via ADFMount (as the other protected games need) but it does the same.
It works well from floppies.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the cursor in Birds of War keeps moving slowly after you move it. It's similar to what used to happen in Heroquest time ago.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:-Wonderland can be installed via it's installer as you indicated, but then it does the same as with manual installation. It takes me back to the desktop after the (awesome) mad hater picture.
Whilst testing, I noticed it did this if the disc wasn't named. ie ADFS::0.$ would cause the problem, ADFS::ONE.$ wouldn't.

I think this was triggering a Page Zero read in RISCOS, which I've yet to look into. Try running it under the debug Module via F12 and see if you get a debug screen.
Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: Forgot to mention that the cursor in Birds of War keeps moving slowly after you move it. It's similar to what used to happen in Heroquest time ago.
I've not seen that yet, despite playing it for hours whilst debugging it. I'll double check it.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:I think this was triggering a Page Zero read in RISCOS, which I've yet to look into. Try running it under the debug Module via F12 and see if you get a debug screen.
It is indeed attempting a Page Zero read @ 10384 - I'll have to debug it at some point to see if I can fix the bug.
JonAbbott wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:EDIT: Forgot to mention that the cursor in Birds of War keeps moving slowly after you move it. It's similar to what used to happen in Heroquest time ago.
I've not seen that yet, despite playing it for hours whilst debugging it. I'll double check it.
I can't reproduce it I'm afraid.
JonAbbott wrote:1990 / North Cape, 1987 campaign crashes the game
I can't reproduce this either :roll:
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have named my sdfs unit as "riscos", using right-click on the sd card icon in the icon bar, but Wonderland still does the same.