ADFFS 2.54

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.54

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Fine Racer seems to work well on the Pi. It's hard but playable and it seems fine to me.
Excellent, I'll add it to the release list.

Did you manage to actually finish the first race?
Any chances to see Hamsters? :D
Unfortunately not as it has a WIMP frontend. I did look at it a few weeks back to see if the Wimp bit could be avoided, but I think I found it was required.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote:
Did you manage to actually finish the first race?
Nope, a green car crashed with my car and took me all the way thrught the circuit!
I will try again this weekend. What are the controls for this game?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:
JonAbbott wrote: Did you manage to actually finish the first race?
Nope, a green car crashed with my car and took me all the way through the circuit!
I will try again this weekend. What are the controls for this game?
Its probably not working then, we need to confirm you can finish the race. Keys are Z X and '/@
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: It's working, at least I can race using ´ , Z, and X.
This is a CRAZY game indeed! I got all these chekpoints, then when I get to the END sign, the game says "Go back to the start!" and a gigant car called MAX comes and smashes me :(
So I will keep trying, but it's very hard...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I got all these chekpoints, then when I get to the END sign, the game says "Go back to the start!"
My reading of that message was that you get a bonus if you go back to the start. None of the other cars either go back to the start or collect all the checkpoints, so you're immediately at a disadvantage! If you think this game is hard, try Cartoon Line part one - I've no idea what's going on in that game.

I'm beginning to wonder if this game is bugged as it seems impossible to finish even on a physical Arc with the original floppy. One thing I've yet to try is loading it up on an A310 with RO2 - just to confirm it doesn't rely on a particular OS version.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Ibix the Viking (I believe you wanted to include it in this release) is still running too fast on the Pi.
Try today's obey.zip, Hoverbod should also hopefully be the playable. The fix I implemented is a bit of a botch, as it modifies files on the floppy which isn't ideal.

Both games used a FOR..NEXT loop to delay, instead of checking TIME :roll:

EDIT: Ibix the Viking hangs when you skip a level, so I'll need to rethink how to slow it down
EDIT2: Ibix now hopefully fixed
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

-Thundermonk: Works (invisible shoots)
I've tracked this down to the game plotting the fire to the backbuffer. Try the latest obey.zip, it doesn't fix it 100% for me, but does show it most of the time.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Ibix the Viking works great on the Pi now. Scrolling text while the countdown to setup keys is running is not smooth anymore, nut I guess it's because it was running as fast as the refresh rate allowed before, and now it runs at the expected speed.
I cleared first level and seems to be stable and well.

Thundermonk seems to be working well too, and fire is always visible for me. Couldn't get any invisible shots while I played.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: Ibix the Viking works great on the Pi now.
Excellent, is Hoverbod okay as well?
Vanfanel wrote:Thundermonk seems to be working well too, and fire is always visible for me. Couldn't get any invisible shots while I played.
Ahh, in that case there's possibly a bug in the blitter when the actual and fake VSyncs occur simultaneously :oops:
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Today's obey.zip should fix the display issue in Missile Control. I'm still not convinced the title page is correct, I need to fire it up on a RO2 machine to see what should happen. At the minute, when you press ESC it only displays "Press a key" - I suspect it should also show the logo.