ADFFS 2.54

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.54

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Cannon Fodder, it seems to slow down sometimes!
I suspect it's the 50hz detection code. You could try running the debug module and look at the detected monitor rate, which is displayed next to the resolution. Does it read <>50hz when the game slows down?
Also, Dark Wood works fine when installed to HDD, it only hangs when playing from floppy, in case it helps you to know what the problem is.
Could be an issue with OS_File then, that would tie in with the Abort occurring just after an OS_SpriteOp if the sprite wasn't loaded.

EDIT: Looking at my notes, the DarkWood issue previously only occurred on StrongARM. I've now tested every build and they all fail, the notes on the 26bit thread however state I'd fixed this issue in one of the builds.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

This is a bit insane, I CAN NOT reproduce the "slowdown version of Cannon Fodder" with the debug version. I have tried a LOT of times in the last hour with no luck. BUT I have seen the FPS staying in values like 25, 27, 28... very different from 50, and the game was still smooth.
As soon as I loaded the non-db version a couple of times, I was in slowdown mode again.
Maybe the debug version takes more time to start up and the frames-per-second calibration is affected somehow?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:This is a bit insane, I CAN NOT reproduce the "slowdown version of Cannon Fodder" with the debug version. I have tried a LOT of times in the last hour with no luck. BUT I have seen the FPS staying in values like 25, 27, 28... very different from 50
It's the "hz" figure you want to look at, not the "fps". FPS is the rate at which the game is swapping frame buffers and HZ is the detected monitor refresh rate.

I suspect there's a bug in the code, essentially it will continually look for a 50hz refresh. The minute is sees one, it shuts down the VSync generator and relies on the actual VSync's. Either the detection code isn't working (ie the figure is never reading 50hz) or it's shutting down the VSync generator and the blitter isn't blitting at the correct times (ie the figure is 50hz)
-E-Type: Works, but it's TOO fast to be playable!
See if CTRL-SHIFT-PGUP a few times makes it playable. (I've checked the speed on an ARM2, it needs 8 presses so it runs at 12.5fps - I'll modify the floppies at some point so it's done automatically)
-Blowpipe: Keyboard control problems. Looks and sounds perfect but seems unplayable.
-Nevryon: Control problems with keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, game works.
Both games are running in SVC with both IRQ and FIQ disabled, so it's no wonder there's keyboard issues.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

-DarkWood: Returns to desktop after disk swapping before actual game starts. Not working with UO modules either.
If you update obey.zip this should now be fixed.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Darkwood now runs fine from floppies, yes! :) (but it's disk swapping inferno!!)
E-Type can be made slower, yes, but I am not sure it's playable, maybe I just suck at the game.

About Cannon Fodder in slow-motion, I can not reproduce the issue with the debug module as I said :(
It only happens with the normal module...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:About Cannon Fodder in slow-motion, I can not reproduce the issue with the debug module as I said :(
It only happens with the normal module...
Does the hz figure ever read 50hz with the debug module? That will rule out the detection code at fault.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Today's build should fix Battle Chess
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Yes, Battlechess now works! (Can't really play because of the protection. Maybe these should be patched put, playing Flashback is a pain also because of this).
I have tested other games that all work great, like PipeMania and Spheres of Chaos!

About the HZ counter in Cannon Fodder with debug module, I get for example 26FPS but still 50HZ. But the game does not slowdown with the debug module, it only happens with the normal module. As soon as I run it with the normal module a couple of times or so, it starts in slowdown mode. But as I say, it seems impossible to duplicate the effect with debug module.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Can't really play because of the protection
Download the full ZIP's, they contain the protection in either PDF or PNG format
I get for example 26FPS but still 50HZ
If you're seeing 50hz, then it's not the detection code, so must be an issue with the blitter.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

-Speedball 2: Works with the UO modules ONLY, it hangs on the main menu with normal modules
Should now be fixed
-Hero Quest: abort on data transfer at &FC02929C. Not working with UO modules either.
-Populous: hangs on black screen just after launch. Not working with UO modules either.
-Rotor: Abort at &203AACC8 at the ARCANA logo screen.
All three of these work under the debug module, so I suspect there's a cache clean issue somewhere.