ADFFS 2.54

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.54

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Speedball 2 works on the Pi now, yes! Updated post...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
-Hero Quest: abort on data transfer at &FC02929C. Not working with UO modules either.
-Populous: hangs on black screen just after launch. Not working with UO modules either.
-Rotor: Abort at &203AACC8 at the ARCANA logo screen.
All three of these work under the debug module, so I suspect there's a cache clean issue somewhere.
It's lazy page mapping in RISCOS that's causing these to fail. I've temporarily turned it off in today's build, so hopefully everything should now be working.

I'll look into implementing a fix. In the meantime, have a look at the 26 bit Module thread and make sure we've tested all the games on that list.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon, with today's build:
-Hero Quest works but has a cursor problem that makes it very hard to play: if you move mouse, the cursor will keep moving after you stopped, at a constant speed.
-Populous: Stays on the tittle screen with music playing, nothing can be clicked, so it doesn't really work.
-Rotor: works with no problems I can see.

I will continue testing the rest of the list tomorrown.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Rockfall is also failing to start when booted from the desktop.
-Hero Quest works but has a cursor problem that makes it very hard to play: if you move mouse, the cursor will keep moving after you stopped, at a constant speed.
Add it to the list of games with keyboard/mouse issues
-Populous: Stays on the tittle screen with music playing, nothing can be clicked, so it doesn't really work.
This is an interesting one, as it now appears to fail on all builds (I've gone back to 2.50) - where previously it was working in debug mode.

It could be Page Zero or more likely OS related, I'll investigate.

EDIT: The Populous issue is caused by a recent change in SharedCLib (see rev. 4.29) to make it ARMv8 safe. I'll need to add support for a few ARMv7 instructions to the Abort handler.
This will have broken quite a few CLib based games.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:EDIT: The Populous issue is caused by a recent change in SharedCLib (see rev. 4.29) to make it ARMv8 safe. I'll need to add support for a few ARMv7 instructions to the Abort handler.
This will have broken quite a few CLib based games.
I've added support for the ARMv7 instructions, but it's still not working. It looks like the behaviour of CLib may have changed, so I've reported it.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:Rockfall is also failing to start when booted from the desktop.
I've tracked this down to games that use "ADFRemapVideoMemory 15 ..." in the Boot script, so this also affects Thundermonk, The Dungeon, FRED, E-Type and E-Type Compendium.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
JonAbbott wrote:
-Hero Quest: abort on data transfer at &FC02929C. Not working with UO modules either.
-Populous: hangs on black screen just after launch. Not working with UO modules either.
-Rotor: Abort at &203AACC8 at the ARCANA logo screen.
All three of these work under the debug module, so I suspect there's a cache clean issue somewhere.
It's lazy page mapping in RISCOS that's causing these to fail. I've temporarily turned it off in today's build, so hopefully everything should now be working.

I'll look into implementing a fix.
This should be fixed in today's build.
JonAbbott wrote:
The Populous issue is caused by a recent change in SharedCLib (see rev. 4.29) to make it ARMv8 safe.
A temporary workaround is to edit it's Boot script (F1028501) and comment the line Run <Populous$Dir>.Title
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
JonAbbott wrote:Rockfall is also failing to start when booted from the desktop.
I've tracked this down to games that use "ADFRemapVideoMemory 15 ..." in the Boot script, so this also affects Thundermonk, The Dungeon, FRED, E-Type and E-Type Compendium.
I've implemented a temporary workaround which will hopefully fix these games.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I have updated the list on the second post, based on the 26bit module thread list as you told me.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I have updated the list on the second post, based on the 26bit module thread list as you told me.
Thanks. I've started looking at the ones that are failing that previously worked, or were near to working.
-Man at Arms: SWI &80003 not known. And returns to desktop.
If you update obey.zip this should now work.
-Sensible Soccer: Seems to work with palette problems (I think that is already known).
Interesting, this has previously never worked on the Pi...if only I could find out what's causing the palette issue.
-Pesky Muskrats: hangs after "insert disk 2".
Could you double check this is still happening please, as I can't reproduce.
-Serpents: Internal Error: abort on data transfer at &FC044444
Could you double check this is still happening please, as I can't reproduce.
-Tactic: Abort on Data transfer on loading screen
One I spotted...if you update to today's Modules, this should now work. Updating to today's obey.zip fixes the Audio.
-Alone in the Dark: File 'AITD:!Run_AITD' not found
Try copying from the floppies and replacing !Run with the Boot Script again, as I'm unable to reproduce this.
-Populous: hangs on title screen with music playing.
Should be fixed with today's build.
-White magic: hangs on unsupported branch address.
Should be fixed with today's build.
-StarTrader: Black screen.
Fixed with today's build / obey.zip - but is too fast to play.