26bit Module support

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: 26bit Module support

Post by JonAbbott »

The only thing that I can think of is refresh rate, I'm running at 60Hz at the moment. I'll connect it up to a TV at the weekend and see if 50Hz breaks them.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I am on 50HZ PAL RCA, yes, so that could be at play...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Latest dev build Modules and obey.zip get Diggers and Grievous Bodily 'ARM running on the Pi. However...

Diggers audio isn't quite correct yet, its working correctly on RO5 SA so the problem is related to the pre-buffering and upsampling. In Grievous Bodily 'ARM, the scrolling isn't quite correct, its similar to James Pond 2 and possibly the same underlying issue - I need to fire both games up on a physical RiscPC to see if it's related to the VIDC20 translation, or specific to the blitter.

I've still got some work to do on the VIDC List Type 3 translation that was added to get these two games to display correctly, as it's not working out the pixel rate correctly for a physical VIDC20. I'm unsure of what the correct calculation is to convert from VIDC1 to VIDC20, simply using the VIDC1 rate for the VIDC20 pixel rate results in 300+ FPS! On a VIDC20 based emulated machine, GBH is currently playable but Diggers does not go into the correct MODE or set the correct resolution, Rotor suffers a similar issue - possibly many other games as well.

Because of the changes to the MEMC audio DMA emulator for Diggers, the audio in Rockfall is now incorrect due to a mismatch between the number of audio channels the game has selected and the number it actually requires for the DMA audio. No Excuses and Rotor appear to be okay, which I believe are the only other games that use DMA for audio.

EDIT: I've applied a fix for the audio in Rockfall to it's Boot script
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:In Grievous Bodily 'ARM, the scrolling isn't quite correct, its similar to James Pond 2 and possibly the same underlying issue - I need to fire both games up on a physical RiscPC to see if it's related to the VIDC20 translation, or specific to the blitter.
Both work correctly on a physical RiscPC, so the VIDC20 translation is correct; the issue is in the blitter :cry:
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Diggers doesn't work here, Jon.
All I get is a black screen. And the non-working games that were working on 2.50b are still not working. Did you try on a 50Hz monitor?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Diggers doesn't work here, Jon.
Did you update obey.zip as well?

I've just uploaded today's build if you want to see if that resolves it.
Vanfanel wrote:And the non-working games that were working on 2.50b are still not working. Did you try on a 50Hz monitor?
No, I haven't had a chance to test on a TV yet.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Yes, I updated both modules and obey as I always do.
These discrepancies between your results and mine aren't good, because my tests don't tell you anything anymore.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Your testing is invaluable, as I don't necessarily have the time to test all the games and as is happening now, they might work for me but have issues once released.

I presume today's build and obey.zip produce the same result?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Yes, same result with today's build and obey. Black screen on Diggers, and the same games not working anymore. Same floppy images work great with 2.50b.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've just uploaded a full ZIP of 2.52i, if you'd like to try some of the games that were hanging when swapping discs.

It's also just occurred to me that I had to make changes to some Trackers Modules, I don't think this is the cause of blank screen, but at least we'll know your ADFFS install is identical to mine.