26bit Module support

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: 26bit Module support

Post by Vanfanel »

Wow, great work, Jon! Games are working again!
Status on full 2.52i of games that had stopped working:
-Cannon Fodder: Working. (Cursor is visible on briefing screens and that's wrong).
-BlowPipe: breaks after inserting second disk. <---This one still fails!!
-ChuckRock: Working.
-Xenon2: Working.
-Gribbly's Day Out: Working.
-Lotus Turbo Challenge: Working.
-James Pond: Working.
-Zarch: Working.
-Heimdall: Working.
-Nebulus: Working.
-Magic Pockets: Working.
-Populous: abort on instruction fetch at &24D4F804 <--This one still fails!
-Poizone: Working.

Also, Diggers is still giving me a black screen. In fact, my monitor goes into "no input" mode, wich is strange because RISC OS can't set physical video modes after boot...
Also, Heroquest was ALMOST working before but it's not working at all now: black screen.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

That's a bit better, I've not re-tested all known working games yet, but have added one more to your list that I'm aware of:
  • Cannon Fodder: Cursor is visible on briefing screens
  • BlowPipe: breaks after inserting second disk
  • Populous: abort on instruction fetch at &24D4F804 (fixed, chocolate at fault)
  • Hero Quest: Blank screen (fixed, chocolate at fault)
  • Diggers: Monitor goes into "no input" mode (AnyMode required, RISCOS "feature" was the cause)
  • Fireball II: Blank screen (fixed, bug introduced in 2.51k)
Do you get any audio when Diggers loads? If not, it's crashed.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

No, no audio on Diggers. It's kaput :P
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Hmm, I'll put my thinking cap on. It sounds like something has hung whilst it's setting up the video MODE. Can you try the debug Module and see if it does the same thing - it's in the !ADFFS folder

We need more Pi testers. Anyone reading that can spare the time, please drop me a PM. I'm after both general testing and long play testers, who can ensure we've fixed all the Page Zero access bugs.

EDIT: Try the build I've just uploaded, I've turn off chocolate. That seems to have fixed Wolfenstein 3D, so worth testing on your issues.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Ok, tested today's build:
-Populous works now!
-HeroQuest works now! And what a beautiful version the Archimedes has! Has better music than the Amiga version I had. Wow! Will bring friends home just to make them drool over this version :D
-Blowpipe is sill hanging on the INSERT DISK TWO screen.
-Wolfenstein boots, but it's VERY hard to change disks! I have to do CRTL+SHIFT+Fn several times so the game detects the disk change. Also, controls are wrong and when I rotate left or right, the key is stuck and I rotate forever :P
-Diggers still giving me a black screen. I don't know how to debug it because it leaves the Pi in an unusable state, all I can do is power it off and on again.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Wolfenstein boots, but it's VERY hard to change disks! I have to do CRTL+SHIFT+Fn several times so the game detects the disk change. Also, controls are wrong and when I rotate left or right, the key is stuck and I rotate forever :P
I noticed that as well and assumed it was turning IRQ's off for too long. I've searched through the code however and can't spot anywhere, where IRQ's are off.

I'm not sure why chocolate is breaking this or the others either, I might have to leave it off until I have more time to debug.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Out of curiosity, what's that chocolate you mention, Jon?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Out of curiosity, what's that chocolate you mention, Jon?
Chocolate is the compiler flag to turn on lazy page mapping in RISCOS, RO5 is Chocolate flavour, RO3.71 is Vanilla.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Diggers still giving me a black screen. I don't know how to debug it because it leaves the Pi in an unusable state, all I can do is power it off and on again.
In light of this thread, what monitor do you have selected in Configure?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I have Acorn AKF60 selected with some additional videomodes for BeebIt! to display scan-doubled mode well.