26bit Module support

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: 26bit Module support

Post by Vanfanel »

Wow!! Reading these reports is EXCITING, Jon. I don't understand everything as a high-lever C programmer, but it's fascinating to see how a game comes back to life thanks to your vast knowledge on Risc OS. Very teaching, too.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Quite a lot of games that require Modules are now running on RO5 SA, but failing on the Pi. Something odd is going on with the Pi ADFFS Module build, as Nevryon for example does *!Nevryon.NEVSOUND which fails. NEVSOUND is a Module and *RMRun !Nevryon.NEVSOUND works, but *!Nevryon.NEVSOUND fails - they should perform identical actions.

I believe the SOE is: Hypervised OS_FSControl is entered, which passes it on to the RO OS_FSControl, this performs OS_CLI,"!Nevryon.NEVSOUND", which triggers OS_Module 0, the Hypervised OS_Module takes over and loads and runs the Module.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:-Inferno hangs here after I press 1 to start game.
I've been looking into this today, it looks like recursive Aborts are occurring but I'm not sure why. This is breaking a few other games as well.
Vanfanel wrote:-Bug Hunter In Space only shows an starfield. No actual game layer to see.
The dev site builds are now updated, so this should now work.
Vanfanel wrote:-Tower Of Babel says "end of file".
Same as above. I've also now fixed the screen corruption, so this should now be working okay.

As for The Dungeon, if I can fix the issue with the sound it should be working soon.
richw

Post by richw »

Is there a build difference between RO 5 SA and Pi? I assumed there was simply a 3.1, 3.7/4.0 and 5.0 set of builds.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

richw wrote:Is there a build difference between RO 5 SA and Pi? I assumed there was simply a 3.1, 3.7/4.0 and 5.0 set of builds.
Yes there are differences and two builds: IOMD and non-IOMD. The IOMD build doesn't require a blitter for example and simply translates VIDC register writes to their VIDC20 equivalents. There's other subtle differences in instruction encodings as MSR/MRS are slightly different between ARM revisions.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I would lie if I wouldn't admit I'm visiting this tread 4+ times a day nowadays, eagerly waiting for the small final step so I can finally see The Dungeon working in my home :D
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

The latest dev build / obey.zip gets E-Type, Nevryon and The Dungeon working. Carnage Inc almost works but it's riddled with page zero access bugs that I need to fix, plus the sound isn't working on the Pi.

Inferno is still crashing, Overload (Paradise) should also work, but suffers the same fate.

Make sure you don't have VProtect loaded as it is causing a lot of issues and will break the games above.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

/me runs to try The Dungeon and calls some friends so they can rool over this game like it's the 90's!!!
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

It works!!! At last!! Nice Dungeon Master clone with awesome graphics indeed...

Some ganes however seem to have stopped working, like Lotus 2.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:It works!!! At last!! Nice Dungeon Master clone with awesome graphics indeed...
I find it a lot more payable if you override it's 12FPS by pressing CTRL-ALT-PGUP once, to get 50FPS.
Vanfanel wrote:Some ganes however seem to have stopped working, like Lotus 2.
Two steps forward, one step back as they say. We'll need to retest all games once I've resolved the issue that's causing Inferno to fail - it may be the same issue.