Inferno and Overload

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
giggler

Inferno and Overload

Post by giggler »

Hi.

I have used JFD to image on 2.73 under RiscOS3.1 on a A4K with 4MB DRAM. It completes but the games don't run, Overload returns to desktop and Inferno says something about "signal <n>" and returns to desktop. I got these copies off ebay and sold as budget some years ago.

Any help with be great?
JonAbbott

Re: Inferno and Overload

Post by JonAbbott »

Are you using Boot Floppy, or manually running from the icon?

I'm assuming the original floppies run, so it's possible you have a different version to the ones imaged. If you look in the !Help file, it explains how to create your own recording files which you can then use to image them.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

There was only ever one 'version' of each released. :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

IanJeffray wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:24 am There was only ever one 'version' of each released. :)
It must be coming up to their 20 year anniversary...any chance you might change your minds about JASPP releasing them...pretty please :D
giggler wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:15 am Any help with be great?
Given the amount of JFD imaging issues you're having, have you loaded SparkFS before attempting to image the floppies?
giggler

Post by giggler »

No why would I load SparkFS? It needs system resources which originally caused ADFFS to die and not image so i put them in a new directory so not seen when i open hdd and then didn't bother with SparkFS
giggler

Post by giggler »

F'ing pi** star dot b1locks. Days wasted. Umm.

So the record file is compressed, it was repeatedly selecting 800k e format disc when you don't load SparkFS - great. I didn't know they were joined at the groin only that I needed sparkfs to get adffs on my hdd.

Both those games work now. Dam it do I have to re-image everything again? I mean some of the games appear to be working?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

giggler wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:23 pm Dam it do I have to re-image everything again? I mean some of the games appear to be working?
The !Help specifically states SparkFS must be loaded, as does the How to image a floppy disc with ADFFS article.

I appreciate we're all busy and stressed at the minute, but all these processes are documented for a reason...to avoid thevery situation you now find yourself in.

Although it is frustrating to find out you've missed a step and now need to reimage all your floppies...consider the 10 years I spent figuring all this stuff out, coding floppy imaging etc to make it as simple as possible for you.
giggler

Post by giggler »

That sounds like my bank manager, see paragraph 3, sentence 7, clause 45 - Didn't you read it? To late now