Provocator spotted:

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
wmd

Re: Provocator spotted:

Post by wmd »

Game arrived today, will be testing it out later.

My old disk was a copy, not an original. I don't know if it had been hacked, or (more likely) had been copied from an original using an Amiga hardware copier. I never had a HDD back in the 90s when I had my first Archimedes, so I was running everything from floppies. There was definitely no passwords required from the manual.
Starlord

Post by Starlord »

Great. Enjoy your purchase.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I tested my A3020 today and there seems to be an issue. I am getting the following error when I turn the machine on:

"Warning: CMOS RAM for Ether3 in socket 1 defaulted"

This machine has a network podule card fitted in it, which is what is presumably the "socket 1" in the error above? I tried turning on with Delete held down to reset the CMOS, but same error. The display is also rolling, like it isn't synced or something. It doesn't seem to be accepting keyboard inputs either. I've used the A3020 on this TV before (via RGB scart) and don't remember this problem occurring then.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Bit of progress - opened it up to make sure there was no battery leakage - there wasn't, previous owner had done a small mod so that the battery is located away from the main board. I removed the battery anyway, and also removed the LAN podule. The machine now boots into desktop, but I'm still getting the screen rolling.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Have managed to load the game from the desktop. Loads fine, although unplayable due to the screen rolling.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Have you *configured MonitorType and Sync?
wmd

Post by wmd »

No, how do I do that? I don't recall having to do that in the past.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I did a bit of searching, and tried:

*CONFIGURE MONITORTYPE 0
*CONFIGURE SYNC 1

Then did CTRL + BREAK, but no change.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You probably want to use MonitorType 4 and use a VGA monitor.
giggler

Post by giggler »

Hi.

I have Provocator. I think I may have sold that copy to the French guy you bought it off, he bought a load of NOS games from me. It is protected, I have unprotected my hdd copy. It was pretty basic and I think your ADF reader will work. I have an ADF if you want it?

I got 3 copies in ~2006 when I was getting rid of my old Acorn mags. I noticed an advert for it in one of the old mags, dial code had changed so i call up the same number with new dial code and the guy who wrote the game answered. I talked about it for a bit, then asked if he had any copies i could buy. He sold me 3 for £10each. They arrived smelling very smokey but over time the smell has gone.