Asylum RISC OS 5

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
hydro

Asylum RISC OS 5

Post by hydro »

How do i get Asylum to work with RISC OS 5? I have version 2 from Acorn Gaming, i replaced the !Run file with the obey file from obey.zip with one small alteration with Obey$Dir as it was pointing to a floppy drive. When it loads it just hangs on the start graphic, i removed that line and it just hangs the machine.

System: Raspberry Pi 3 running RISC OS 5.27 04-Jun-2020
JonAbbott

Re: Asylum RISC OS 5

Post by JonAbbott »

Replacing !Run with F1003301 should be enough to get it running, however F1003301 is for Asylum v1.0.

Post a link to where you downloaded it, so I can test.
hydro

Post by hydro »

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I did wonder if you meant Acorn Arcade, but couldn't see Asylum on there. I didn't however realise it had sub sites for some games.

According to that page, OddBall and Asylum are now freeware so I'll package and release them both.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've just taken a quick look at v2.00. It's not crashing, it's dropping back to BASIC and needs the line numbers changing in the fix up.

Alter the KEY 0 line in your !Run to resolve:

Code: Select all

KEY 0 27flags=0|M41QUIT|MRUN|M
hydro

Post by hydro »

Edited and still getting the same effect, it is not dropping to BASIC for me, just hangs on the ASYLUM logo. What is your system configuration? I even aborted the boot structure and it still crashes.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

hydro wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:07 am What is your system configuration?
I have a stock SD Card image from 5.24 updated with recent firmware and RISC OS nightly ROM. I'm not sure of the exact build date, early May 2020 off the top of my head. I will however update to the latest nightly HardDisc4/RISCOS and firmware tonight so I have a known configuration we could match.

The more pertinent question is what you're running, so I can reproduce the issue and diagnose the problem.
  • Are you using ADFFS 2.72 and did you download it via PackMan distribution?
  • Have you tried the latest ADFFS 2.73 beta? I don't think it will make any difference, but always worth trying the latest build for the bug fixes
  • Are you using the 5.24 SD Card/HardDisc4 image, or a recent Nightly HardDisc4?
  • What date is your firmware? Was it updated at the same time as RISC OS, as it's very important they match
  • Do you have any software loaded? I'm guessing not if you've tried bypassing !Boot completely
  • If you've not tried many games, could you try downloading a few random games via PackMan distribution to confirm they all work
When it crashes could you try:

Code: Select all

Press ENTER
MODE 0
If that does nothing, please try pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F12 to see if it terminates the task.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:18 am I will however update to the latest nightly HardDisc4/RISCOS and firmware tonight so I have a known configuration we could match.
I've updated everything to the last builds as of today and can now reproduce the issue. I'll do some debugging to find out what the root cause is.
hydro

Post by hydro »

I am glad you were able to reproduce the issue, i hope you find what changed. Not had any issues with other games as of yet.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

We may be dealing with multiple issues. The few other random games I've tested appear to work okay, but if I start the JIT up, switch to MODE 0 and wait at the Supervisor prompt, it will appear to hang within a few seconds.

If I keep hitting CTRL-G, the time between me pressing CTRL-G and the sound occurring will get longer and longer and on the face of it, the machine appears to have hung as the cursor stops blinking.

Loading the debug versions of ADFFS and switching to a legacy MODE triggers an immediate hang!

It sounds like an interrupt issue somewhere, possible GraphicsV related. It may not be easy to track down as I've not taken snapshots of the RISC OS builds lately and I don't believe there's a tracked change log since the OS code moved to GIT.