A5000 running too fast for compatibility with many games

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Smp

A5000 running too fast for compatibility with many games

Post by Smp »

Hello,

I have an A5000 33MHz 8MB, but it runs most games too fast.

I have tried using !rjw_Sync and VSyncX2, but it is either still too fast or too slow (and also did not affect music/sound playback speed which remained too fast).

I have used ADFFS with for example "Mad Professor Mariarti (1990) (Krisalis Software)" which reduced the timing to being perfect.

So my question is, is it a module in ADFFS or the MadProf image that is reducing the speed to the normal rate for the game?

Can this module (lines of code, "OS_Bytes"?) be extracted (and moved to my system's main !Boot) so that I can pernamently underclock the whole system for all applications that run to maintain a backwards compatibility performance of an A4000/A310?

If anyone knows how this is being achived and how the module (or lines of code) can be extracted to underclock the system for normal use, it would be much appricated.
JonAbbott

Re: A5000 running too fast for compatibility with many games

Post by JonAbbott »

I believe Mad Professor Mariarti self regulates, but you can alter the speed of most games when ADFFS is loaded via CTRL+SHIFT+PgUP / PgDown. 2xPgUp should force a game to 50fps, 4xPgUp will force to 25fps etc.

There's also *ADFForceVSync if you want to add it to a game's !Run. Refer the !Help file for details on * command and key combinations.

You can load ADFFS in the main !Boot sequence and force VSync, but it will only affect games that frame swap and will slow the desktop down. You're better off either using images from here and Booting them, which will also correct music speed, or using *ADFForceVsync for HD installed games. You also have the option of using the boot scripts from ADFFS, if you want to tailor your own HD installs, they're all stored in the !ADFFS.Obey ZIP file.

If I'm honest, you're better off using a Pi for gaming as you can HD install them via PackMan, they all run at the correct speed, music will be correct, you can use USB Joysticks and overscan modes work on modern monitors.
Smp

Re: A5000 running too fast for compatibility with many games

Post by Smp »

Thanks, now that I know what is going on (and that they also run an obey file from inside a compressed file) I can now script my own custom !Run on the HD installed games.