MiG-29 Fulcrum

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
David Lowe

MiG-29 Fulcrum

Post by David Lowe »

Hi,

I’ve just used ADFFS 2.64 to image MiG-29 Fulcrum as a JFD on my RiscPC. Risc OS 3.50 and not a Strong ARM.

When I boot floppy for the image on my Risc PC, I get an error message as soon as I press the first key when entering the protection word from the manual (“Illegal address (e.g. wildly outside array bounds) Postmortem requested ...”)

When I boot floppy for the same image on my Pi (Risc OS 5.23), I don’t even get as far as the copy protection prompt - I get a different set of error message immediately (“CallBack handler... ) (Fair enough because post 3.70 OS).

... but when I run it on my Pi using ADFFS inside !ArcEm with Risc OS 3.10, it runs fine!

Pi and Risc PC setup both run downloaded JFDs fine.

Any suggestions? (other than running ADFFS inside !ArcEm all the time!)

Thanks.
JonAbbott

Re: MiG-29 Fulcrum

Post by JonAbbott »

As its working under ArcEm, I'd say its a problem running the boot script, which is !ADFFS.obey.F1025001 in this case. The boot script removes the manual based protection, as you're being asked for a word the boot script hasn't been run. ADFFS has attempted to extract and run it and failed, so fallen back to running !BOOT on the floppy.

The boot script definitely gets it running on a Pi and should get it running on a RiscPC, although I don't recall testing it explicitly.

Firstly try ADFFS 2.65. If that does the same thing, check ADFFS has extracted the game's boot script to !ADFFS.!Obey, which should match !ADFFS.obey.F1025001.

Its possible !ADFFS.obey is corrupt, which can be tested by extracting it to RAM: using SparkFS. !ADFFS.obey is a standard ZIP file.

EDIT: One other thought. When you imaged it, did you select the game title from the drop down on the first field, so it pre-filled all the fields?
David Lowe

Post by David Lowe »

Thanks, Jon.

Downloaded and used ADFFS v2.65 - works fine, both on the Pi and RiscPC.

(Now for Interdictor - where my original is the Acorn User CD ROM 10 version...)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

David Lowe wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 pm Now for Interdictor - where my original is the Acorn User CD ROM 10 version...
That's going to be hit and miss, copy it to HD and replace the !Run with the ADFFS boot script. You will need to comment out the first few lines that set Obey$Dir to ADFS::0... and probably need to comment out the MEMORYA lines that remove the colour chart protection as I suspect the Absolute will be different.

Before you do all that however, you could try just putting "*GOARM3JIT 0" at the top of its !Run and "*GOARM3JIT" at the bottom, to start/stop the JIT.
David Lowe

Post by David Lowe »

Thanks - Interdictor now working by substituting the ADFFS boot script for the original run file (Much quicker than my original method of making a floppy version to image with ADFFS!). Colour protection still there with whatever method I use, even if I do or don’t comment out those lines. Not a problem - it’s part of the original game, and a reminder of the days when people didn’t all carry a colour scanner in their pocket!