"command line" questions

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
craiganderson

"command line" questions

Post by craiganderson »

Sorry for possibly not wording the terms correctly..but after i press "F12"....what should I type to "load" the "IDEDisc4" directory?

drive XXX?
dir XXX?

thank you in advance
craig
craiganderson

Re: "command line" questions

Post by craiganderson »

follow up question...my bigger picture goal :D

after hitting F12
what commands would i use if i want to load and play a game on the "hardrive"
i know how to do it via clicking but would like to do it with commands only

here is how i do it via "clicks"
"click" !ADFFS
"click" the "folder of the game"
"then click the game inside the folder"

thanks in advance
craig
JonAbbott

Re: "command line" questions

Post by JonAbbott »

craiganderson wrote:Sorry for possibly not wording the terms correctly..but after i press "F12"....what should I type to "load" the "IDEDisc4" directory?
ADFFS is based around floppies, so I'm not sure what you mean.
craiganderson wrote:what commands would i use if i want to load and play a game on the "hardrive"
i know how to do it via clicking but would like to do it with commands only
If you right click on the !ADFFS directory and select Help, all the commands are listed. You can also type *HELP ADFFS to see the commands and *HELP <command> to get syntax for each command. If I've understood correctly, the two you're after are *ADFMount and *ADFBootFloppy if you want to mount and the boot a floppy image.

Reading between the lines, I think you may have copied the contents of floppies to the HD and would now like to launch them as normal apps? In which case, you may want to read the Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS thread.

Your mileage will vary depending on what machine you're running the game on. If you're doing it on an original Acorn, the method in that thread will work, on a 32bit OS it may not. Currently ADFFS doesn't track reads from a HD, so any code loaded may fail if RISCOS isn't issuing the correct commands to flush the cache for the area of memory written too. Most games will work, but a few may behave differently if not run from floppy images, try it and see would be my advice.