Game requests

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
JonAbbott

Game requests

Post by JonAbbott »

As the next release of ADFFS will support 26bit Modules, are there any games people would like to see running on the Pi?

Games requested so far:

Alone In The Dark (working as of 2.54o)
Diggers (working as of 2.52g)
Doom (don't have a copy)
Elite (working as of 2.57m)
Flashback (working as of 2.51k)
James Pond II Robocod (working as of 2.51k)
Hamsters (requires the WIMP)
Lemmings 2 The Tribes (working as of 2.54q)
Oh, No! More Lemmings (working as of 2.51a)
Sensible Soccer (working as of 2.54a with some palette issues)
Simon The Sorcerer (working as of 2.57i)
Wolfenstein 3D (working as of 2.54k)

Other games being tested along with their current state are detailed on this post. Please bare in mind that we can't release games we don't have rights too, but can provide the Boot script to get the original release working provided we have a working copy either complete or in-progress.

Games we could release, that aren't currently are detailed below. Note that this list includes games we don't currently have in the archive and duplicate releases of games already available:

Acheton & Kingom of Hamil
Adventures, classic complication [Philosopher's Quest, Countdown to Doom, Return to Doom..., Kingdom of Hamil, Acheton]
Avon & Murdac
BlastOn
Botkiller
Botkiller2
Bug Hunter & Moondash
Cartoon Line part one
Champions
Dune II - Battle for Arrakis
Dune II - Battle for Arrakis [CD version]
Empire Soccer 94
Escape from Exeria
Escape from Exeria [RPC version]
Floopy
Guardians of the Labyrinth
KerBang!
Krisalis Collection, The
Krisalis Gold Collection
Last Days of Doom, The & Hezarin
Lemmings & Oh, No! More Lemmings
Lemmings & Oh, No! More Lemmings [RPC version]
Myth of Moby, The
Oh, No! More Lemmings
Oh, No! More Lemmings [RPC version]
Omar Sharif's Bridge
Premier Manager
Premier Manager [SA version]
Quicksand
Sensible Soccer
Sim City
SimCity 2000 [A5000 version]
SimCity 2000 [RPC version]
Spheres of Chaos
SpySnatcher
World Championship Boxing Manager
World Class Leaderboard
Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension
md0u80c9

Re: Game requests

Post by md0u80c9 »

The Lemmings series would always be welcome to run directly on the Pi.

I second Diggers - I remember it being evil to get actually running on an A3010 and it was /meant/ to run on that, but had hours of fun with it when it did.

Lotus Turbo Challenge working properly on the Pi would be fun too - though again I remember that not working well on an SVGA monitor through an A3010 (fine on TV though).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

md0u80c9 wrote:The Lemmings series would always be welcome to run directly on the Pi.
I'll look at Oh No, More Lemmings. Lemmings 2 is already being tested.
md0u80c9 wrote:I second Diggers - I remember it being evil to get actually running on an A3010 and it was /meant/ to run on that, but had hours of fun with it when it did.
The reason it's taking so long to get running is that it was very poorly written for a game released so late. The developers chose to bypass all legal OS methods for both Sound and the Mouse and in the process, like Fire & Ice, intruded bugs that mean it will only run on specific machines.
md0u80c9 wrote:Lotus Turbo Challenge working properly on the Pi would be fun too - though again I remember that not working well on an SVGA monitor through an A3010 (fine on TV though).
Lotus Turbo Challange 2 is already released and running in the Pi with ADFFS 2.50 beta.

Due to a bug it's hardcoded to only work in a 50Hz mode and will lock up or not display anything at different refresh rates. Ironically it was coded to detect the refresh rate and its that code that causes the problems.

As ADFFS limits the refresh rate to 50Hz on the Pi, the game runs quite happily. If you look on the JASPP YouTube channel I uploaded a gameplay video of it running on the Pi a few months back. In fact, all the videos are of games running on the Pi and I have quite a few more to record and upload that are now working under the current dev build.
Last edited by JonAbbott on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add links
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've just tested Oh, No! More Lemmings and apart from the same issue Lemmings had with the cursor wrapping, it's working okay. I'll have to dump the code and apply the same fix I did to Lemmings at some point.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Some games I would love to see working on ADFFS are:
-Flashback
-James Pond 2 - Robocod
-Hamsters
-Doom
-Wolfenstein3D
-Alone In The Dark
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Some games I would love to see working on ADFFS are:
-Flashback
-James Pond 2 - Robocod
-Hamsters
-Doom
-Wolfenstein3D
-Alone In The Dark
Flashback works, it just needed a Boot script. Updated obey.zip on the dev site.

I'll look at the others, James Pond 2 is proving interesting, I've already added several SWI's to the Hypervisor for it but it's still crashing after the intro sequence.

Wolfenstein 3D - if my memory serves me correctly, the protection broke on this many builds back so I may have to make changes to the 1772 emulator to fix.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

James Pond II now working, it does some odd things with the horizontal scroll which I need to look into. It's not correct on a RPC either, so I suspect there's an issue in the VIDC1>VIDC20 translation code somewhere.
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

I'd like to see Sensible Soccer working.

+1 for Elite too :D
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ringdings wrote:I'd like to see Sensible Soccer working.
It's already being looked at, on RO3.71 SA it gets past the Intro sequence then hangs. On RO5 it hangs before the Intro sequence, so is possibly doing something illegal.
ringdings wrote:+1 for Elite too :D
In theory it should now be working, but for some reason when it calls Wimp_Initialise, RISCOS never returns. This happens on RO3.71 SA and up, so it's not RO5 specific.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Alone in the Dark and Lemmings 2 are close to working.

AITD is working on RO5 SA and RO3.71 SA under the JIT, but is failing on the Pi when it queries the sample table for VoxLib. This was occurring previously, then starting working until I fixed the palette issue, then it broke again, so I'm not quite sure what's up with it. If I can figure out the root cause, it should be working.

Lemmings 2 is working on RO5 SA, but rather bizarrely fails on RO3.71 SA and the Pi, both in the same place. The issue on first glance appears to be the IRQv vector code in the KrisHardware Module, but I can't see anything wrong with it. On both the Pi and RO3.71 you can get into the game, select Play or Practice and select your Lemmings, but as soon as you go into the level it reports NoSuchSWI: SWI not known. I don't however think this is the underlying issue, as I've checked every line of code in all the Modules and the game itself and can't see anything that could cause an unknown SWI error.

Natively, Lemmings 2 doesn't work past RO3.70. A change made in RISCOS for StrongARM support in RO3.71 seems to have broken it and I suspect it's this that's causing the issues I'm seeing - but it doesn't explain why it works on RO5 SA.

The game itself checks for the presence of a VIDC20 chip and falls back to VIDC1 if it doesn't exist, switching the game to either makes no difference to the failure. There's also a further odd failure on the Pi, the loader screen locks the machine - again I can't see anything obviously wrong in the code that could cause the behaviour.