Site maintenance

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
JonAbbott

Site maintenance

Post by JonAbbott »

This site will be offline from Sun evening and will remain offline for a few hours minimum, possibly longer, whilst maintenance is performed.
swirlythingy

Re: Site maintenance

Post by swirlythingy »

Is this a "figuring out why the hell the archives keep self-destructing" kind of maintenance?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Maintenance is now complete.

swirlythingy wrote:Is this a "figuring out why the hell the archives keep self-destructing" kind of maintenance?
Not specifically, although after taking down the site and bouncing the SQL server I discovered the databases were corrupt, so had to do a full reinstall/restore of mySQL and phpBB.

I've updated the firmware, OS, Apache, MySQL and phpBB and then rechecked all the games files. Different files were corrupt this time, so I'll keep an eye on it and check them daily for a few weeks.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

All game downloads have been taken offline, due to random corruption. They'll be offline until I can either find out why Linux is corrupting them, or host on a different platform.

And to make matters worse, the mysql folder is missing, so this site can only be running from memory. The minute I take it down to check the filesystem, we've lost the lot! :evil:
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Everything is back online after a complete rebuild and hardware changes. It if screws up now, Linux is the only thing left to swapout.
davidb

Post by davidb »

Both stardot and Retro Software seem to run phpBB without obvious problems. Maybe ask the admins there for some advice.
richw

Post by richw »

Is it worth all the hassle of hosting your own forum? Maybe the good people at StarDot or IconBar can host JASPP content within their infrastructure?

Perhaps your server is being compromised?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

davidb wrote:Both stardot and Retro Software seem to run phpBB without obvious problems. Maybe ask the admins there for some advice.
The problem isn't with phpBB, it's either OS, firmware or hardware related. I've made hardware changes this time around and hope it fixes the file system corruption that's happening.
richw wrote:Is it worth all the hassle of hosting your own forum? Maybe the good people at StarDot or IconBar can host JASPP content within their infrastructure?
I was originally using IconBar for the bulk of my posts, however I felt it time to set up a dedicated site for the project when we started moving towards Pi support.

Hosting a forum is a piece if cake. This site however was originally a private site (hence the odd port), it was setup as a development forum for the team to communicate, admittedly half of them have disappeared off the face of the earth, and the other half rarely look on here, so I'm flogging a dead horse in that respect.

However, I now use it to track issues, development progress, somewhere to note my thoughts and hopefully get some input/feedback from people that use it, so it does serve a purpose. It's also the only official public site the project has, as I've been let down by so many web developers.
richw

Post by richw »

What a shame that the project has been let down. I think it's phenomenal and I'm excited by it. I would love to help it along in whatever way, but I've refrained from doing so because I know in my heart of hearts I wouldn't be able to commit the time. I guess I'm more pessimistic. :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

All attachments are lost and downloads offline following the latest corruption episode. It's looking like Linux is the issue, as I've already replaced the hardware.