RiscPC help

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
sniffer

RiscPC help

Post by sniffer »

Moning All, I have 3 differnt RPCs. The first is a standard RPC running RO3.7, plenty of ram. The other two are of the SA variety, running RO4. On none of these does ADFFS run.

Attempting to run the latest version (the only version I've tried) of ADFFS causes the floppy to be accessed and the machines hang.

Am I missing something?

Mike.
JonAbbott

Re: RiscPC help

Post by JonAbbott »

Have you tried a clean boot? Its possible its conflicting with something you have loaded? The alternative is its possibly got corrupt either when extracted or the download itself?

Just to be sure it's not ADFFS itself, I've just double checked 2.68 on RPC with 3.70 and StrongARM with no issues.

I'd forget about trying to run most games under RISC OS 4, stick to 3.7. The issue with RISC OS 4 is the way in which it maps video memory - it breaks all games that expect a specific amount of video ram.
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Ok, tried a clean boot, no change. The hang happens after line 6 in !Loader is executed;

IF ADFFS$OSVersion>&31100 AND ADFFS$VIDC20<>0 .......

but only after some subsequent disc activity. Until then, the machine is responsive.

I commented out all the lines in !Loader after 6 to narrow down what was happening.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Its loading ADFFS400, which restarts ADFS. That's the disc activity you're seeing. The only thing it does after restarting ADFS is insert the MemAlloc Module into the RMA. Which is a dummy Module without any code.

Do you have an old version of VProtect installed (4.03 was the last version released)? It's been known to cause all sorts of issues with false positives. I've implemented various workarounds for it, but there are still some known issues with the way it handles RMLoad.

Clean boot to the commandline, go to the !ADFFS directory and try:

Code: Select all

RMLoad ADFFS400
Does it hang? If it does, do another clean boot and see if the following hangs:

RMReinit ADFS
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Removed VProtect (which is an old version) but made no difference. At supervisor, RMLoad ADFFS400 hangs the machine once any activity occurs, e.g. hitting a second return _after_ the command.

RMRenit ADFS does not hang the machine.
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Not sure what it tells you but, after a clean boot and then 'RMRenit ADFS', ADFFS loads to the icon bar.

So I did a normal boot, then 'RMRenit ADFS' and ADFFS loads to the icon bar.

Haven't tried using it yet though.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

sniffer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am So I did a normal boot, then 'RMRenit ADFS' and ADFFS loads to the icon bar.

Haven't tried using it yet though.
Very strange, I wonder if ADFS is corrupting the stack? If you put an "RMReInit ADFS" into !ADFFS.!Run prior to the final !Loader line, does ADFFS then load okay?

Does ADFFS work once loaded? Can you mount floppy images?
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Putting "RMReInit ADFS" into the Run file prevents the machine from hanging but ADFFS does not install to the icon bar. The only way I can achieve that is running an Obey file with the following content and then double clicking on !ADFFS

dir ADFS::rpc.$.Emulators.!ADFFS
RMReinit ADFS
ADFFS then loads and will mount an image.

The only image I have currently is Lemmings and that runs using 'Boot floppy' but the video is way off, but that's a different issue. Likely my monitor setup.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

sniffer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm Putting "RMReInit ADFS" into the Run file prevents the machine from hanging but ADFFS does not install to the icon bar. The only way I can achieve that is running an Obey file with the following content and then double clicking on !ADFFS
The ADFFSFiler Module is also failing to load.

Sounds very suspicious, have you scanned the machine(s) for virus' lately?
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

I'm confident my systems are virus free.

No big deal, I can live without it :)