Games requiring Kryoflux imaging

Discuss using Kryoflux to image floppies
JonAbbott

Games requiring Kryoflux imaging

Post by JonAbbott »

There's a few games that we need to image with a Kryoflux as the protection may talk directly to the FDC via IOC:

Adventure classic collection (TOPOLOGIKA)
Blaston (Eterna) (confirmed direct FDC access)
Bubble Fair (Eterna)
Cartoon line part one (Eterna) (confirmed not using direct FDC access)
Chequered Flag (CIS) (the original RO2 release) (confirmed direct FDC access)
Fine Racer (Eterna) (confirmed direct FDC access)
KerBang! (Eterna) (confirmed direct FDC access)
Poizone (Eterna)
Rockfall (Eterna)
Tactic (Eterna)

NOTE: It's the Eterna releases we're interested in, not the later UCS release that had the protection stripped. The Eterna releases that I've seen so far have !BOOT as the only file on the disk.

There's also a few that use sector-in-sector that need imaging:

Hero Quest (Krysalis)
Wolfenstein 3D (Power Software)
JonAbbott

Re: Games requiring Kryoflux imaging

Post by JonAbbott »

I've imaged the following titles:

Adventure classic collection (TOPOLOGIKA)
Blaston (Eterna)
Fine Racer (Eterna)

Unfortunately all fail their protection check when the dump is converted to an APD - I'm not sure if that's due to an issue in the conversion or a problem with Arculator 0.99. I've also tried them on Arculator 1.0 beta - but it appears to crash when an APD is mounted.

Incidentally, Blaston displays "Pirate" down the bottom where the powerup info is and Fine Racer displays "PIRATE" in huge letters across the screen.

I suspect the issue with Adventure classic collection is due to Arculator not implementing some instructions quite as strictly as the game requires.
richw

Post by richw »

On a vaguely related point, I think Bubble Fair does something similar with printing 'pirated' on the screen.

I bought it from a local shop when it was first released (1990?). I found that I was only given seven seconds to complete each level, and it said 'pirated' near the countdown clock. Being only ten at the time, I didn't make the connection. I just thought the game was hard! It was only many years later then I acquired a 'hard disc and OS 3.1 compatible' knocked off version, that I found you get sixty seconds per level!

Dunno what was wrong with my floppy. Probably lost along with all those 4D ones!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'm not sure why Eterna titles started displaying the fact they were pirated, Rockfall just makes the game so hard it's unplayable...which most Eterna titles are anyway, so it's near impossible to tell if it's pirated or not!

The key problem with the Eterna protection is that it's IOC/1772 specific, so like Fire & Ice will fail if you don't have a specific model of Archimedes.

I've not seen a pirated notice on Bubble Fair, which makes me think the two copies I have may be the UCS release. If you ever find the floppy, let me know.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've imaged KerBang!, but can't test the protection on Arculator as Arculator crashes, I suspect it's using an instruction that Arculator doesn't quite emulate as accurately as required, but it could also be down to the protection failing.

Looking at the other Eterna originals I have, Tactic is definitely the UCS release and Bubble Fair l suspect is the UCS release, as it doesn't appear to have any protection.