Simple KryoFlux questions

Discuss using Kryoflux to image floppies
hubersn

Simple KryoFlux questions

Post by hubersn »

I bought KryoFlux some years ago and now found some time to try it.

It was a complete failure, but maybe I just don't understand how it really works. My idea was to start with some of my Archie Games floppies and create adf images. However, even unprotected discs were not imageable into adf. I could only image into the raw KryoFlux formats - but how to convert that into something the MiST or HxC could read?

I also found out that the Citizen DD floppy from my A3000 which works fine does not seem to be compatible with KryoFlux - it says something like "mode command not accepted" - is something like this to be expected? Are DD floppy drives supported, or does it only work with HD floppies?

Any ideas?
JonAbbott

Re: Simple KryoFlux questions

Post by JonAbbott »

"mode command not accepted" generally means the floppy isn't responding, from memory Acorn floppy drives have hardwired lines on them so may not work on a standard floppy interface. I wouldn't use them for imaging anyhow, you really want a Sony MPF920F to read floppies reliably.

If you want to create ADF's, you'll need to create a new format descriptor. In the settings screen, clone the MFM format as "Acorn E" and set it to 5 sectors of 1024 bytes. This will image unprotected floppies.

For protected floppies, you'll want to use Kryoflux Stream Guided with Acorn E (this will image as a stream using the Acorn E format to verify each sector) and then use Kryo2APD to convert the stream to an APD file. The APD can then be used with Arculator or ADFFS.

If you're still struggling, I can post screenshots.
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

Hi Jon,

somehow, I was expecting the KryoFlux default to already contain everything necessary to image Archimedes floppies - after all, they explicitly mention support for "Archimedes" discs.
JonAbbott wrote:"mode command not accepted" generally means the floppy isn't responding, from memory Acorn floppy drives have hardwired lines on them so may not work on a standard floppy interface. I wouldn't use them for imaging anyhow, you really want a Sony MPF920F to read floppies reliably.
I tried various floppy drives from my collection, and all seem to be capable to read my old discs, How do I find out which drive is "better" than the others?
JonAbbott wrote: If you want to create ADF's, you'll need to create a new format descriptor. In the settings screen, clone the MFM format as "Acorn E" and set it to 5 sectors of 1024 bytes. This will image unprotected floppies.
That worked fine, thanks. Is there a reliable way to detect if a disc is protected? Will trying to image as a standard ADF always indicate if there are non-standard sectors, blocks or whatever is used for protection?
JonAbbott wrote: For protected floppies, you'll want to use Kryoflux Stream Guided with Acorn E (this will image as a stream using the Acorn E format to verify each sector) and then use Kryo2APD to convert the stream to an APD file. The APD can then be used with Arculator or ADFFS.
That also worked - I discovered that the TBAFS disc was protected, still searching for my other protected discs (Zarch, Conqueror, Sensible Soccer, Stunt Racer 2000).
JonAbbott wrote: If you're still struggling, I can post screenshots.
No longer struggling, many thanks. And thanks for the other postings with the detailed infos.

kryo2apd could do with a frontend and extensions to simplify the workflow. Is someone actively working on it?

hubersn
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

hubersn wrote:I tried various floppy drives from my collection, and all seem to be capable to read my old discs, How do I find out which drive is "better" than the others?
I believe there's some info on the Kryoflux forum, although generally it's trial and error as each drive is different. When imaging with guided format, if you start seeing lots of bad sectors try another drive.
hubersn wrote:Is there a reliable way to detect if a disc is protected? Will trying to image as a standard ADF always indicate if there are non-standard sectors, blocks or whatever is used for protection?
They stand out when imaging to ADF, as you'll see tracks marked as X or B. Generally protection is at the start or end of the floppy, if you see B's in the middle it's probably sectors the drive is failing to read correctly. Green or E are good tracks, E being a track with write splices meaning it's been written to after mastering.

If you look at the scatter graph and see the flux levels are blurred, try another drive and select the one with the narrowest banding.
hubersn wrote:No longer struggling, many thanks. And thanks for the other postings with the detailed infos.

kryo2apd could do with a frontend and extensions to simplify the workflow. Is someone actively working on it?
Daniel does do the odd bit of tinkering, you can download the latest source on GitHub.
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

I had a bit of free time this weekend, and since my A5000 seems to not like my resurrection attempts, I decided to have a go at a simple frontend for kryo2apd (Java Swing).

You can download the result here: http://www.huber-net.de/software/java/K ... wingUI.zip

Instructions inside the zip. You also need the kryo2apd.jar to make it work. Feedback welcome.

For anyone capable of reading German, this is the corresponding blog post with a bit of an introduction: http://riscosblog.huber-net.de/2016/08/ ... flux-tool/

Have fun
hubersn
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I do the next batch of floppy imaging.