Magic Pockets (1993) (Renegade)

Download games the project has approval to release
MarzSyndrome

Re: Magic Pockets (1993) (Renegade)

Post by MarzSyndrome »

That's very odd. When I redownloaded those two games the second time round there was no corruption in them at all. If they suddenly got corrupted between then and before you re-uploaded them once again (having seen the new upload datestamp), then I again suspect that something is messing files up at its own free will while they're sitting there. Hence why, like I said, the James Pond SA zip is no longer perfect when previously it was. You checked for any viruses/trojans and what not?

(Admittedly, I have yet to test any of the zips under an emulated RiscOS environment with the likes of SparkFS and InfoZip, but given this is the bog-standard PKZip format we're talking about here, any zip utlity for any platform should report the same issues on a corrupt zip, right?)
richw

Post by richw »

I am having trouble with this.

I have downloaded it several times. First time, I extracted the disk image and ADFFS reported broken directory when I tried to mount it. The next four times I downloaded it, I get 'bad archive' from SparkFS. Any ideas?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

richw wrote:I am having trouble with this.

I have downloaded it several times. First time, I extracted the disk image and ADFFS reported broken directory when I tried to mount it. The next four times I downloaded it, I get 'bad archive' from SparkFS. Any ideas?
I'll check it later, in the meantime down the floppy image.
richw

Post by richw »

Ah, yes, that works fine. Problem must be in the full archive.

I'll admit: I had not noticed that the floppy icon was a different target than the 'full download' text! I had been clicking on the text for all the other games, assuming that was the only way. Silly me! Thanks for the tip!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've just rechecked all the files on here and half are corrupt again, including the full archive for Magic Pockets.

I thought Linux servers were supposed to be more reliable than Windows! Having zero knowledge of Linux and not understand how on earth files can magically corrupt themselves, I think I'll have to look at alternatives for this site, as this is getting beyond a joke.
Chappo

Post by Chappo »

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting Magic Pockets to work on a Pi (running 5.21) and the 2.43 beta version of ADFFS.

When I load the disk with ADFFS and 'Boot from Floppy', it just takes me to the CLI. If I try and run the game from the command line I get the error 'Module TrackerModule' is not 32bit compatable (Error number &10E)'

What am I missing (or doing wrong)? :)

Thanks!!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Chappo wrote:I am having trouble getting Magic Pockets to work on a Pi (running 5.21) and the 2.43 beta version of ADFFS.

When I load the disk with ADFFS and 'Boot from Floppy', it just takes me to the CLI.
I have to ask the obvious...Can you confirm you have !SparkFS loaded and did use "Boot Floppy" from the ADFFS filer menu. Could you also confirm you're running a recent RISCOS alpha build (within the past few months)?

I have just checked and can confirm Magic Pocket does boot okay with 2.43 on the Pi. It does randomly lock up when skipping the intro sequeuence, but that's been a long running issue.
Chappo wrote:If I try and run the game from the command line I get the error 'Module TrackerModule' is not 32bit compatable (Error number &10E)'
However tempting as it may be, never run a game directly on the Pi - it may corrupt your CMOS if its badly behaved.
Chappo

Post by Chappo »

Got it working :)

Yep, !SparkFS loaded, and 'Boot from Floppy', but I had been holding down the 'ctrl' key which was taking me to the command prompt. All sorted now.

I have to say awesome work Jon!

Now just need to work out how to get Zarch working. Are there any detailed instructions on how to make use of the obey files, which I assume I need to use as I can't download Zarch from this site? BTW, I have 2 prisitne copies of Zarch on disk, just no machine I can use them in (unless a usb floppy drive can be used with the Pi?)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Chappo wrote:Are there any detailed instructions on how to make use of the obey files
Look on this list for the game ID, then simply run the Obey file that matches it.