ADFFS - multiple disks

General development discussion not covered by a specific forum
regin

ADFFS - multiple disks

Post by regin »

Hi,

I've been playing with ADFFS on an ArcEm emulator on the Pi, but am also going to get around to wiring up an old Arc and playing games as they should be played. The floppy on the Arc doesn''t work though so I'll have to transfer disk images using an SD card and IDE.

I just wondered what the best way would be to handle a multi-disk game if I'm using images? ADFFS works great until the game asks for disk 2 - then I have no idea what to do!

Thanks for any help.
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS - multiple disks

Post by JonAbbott »

Just name the files so they end with the disc number and then use CTRL-SHIFT-F1 / F2 / F3 etc

For example, name the disc image files as:

Game1
Game2

CTRL-SHIFT-F1 will mount Game1, CTRL-SHIFT-F2 will mount Game2
regin

Post by regin »

Thanks Jon. Clever!
1333david

Post by 1333david »

I can't seem to get the multiple disks working. for example, I have E type with two disks. I've renamed them E-Type Disk 1 and E-Type Disk 2. Then when disk one loads it asks for me to insert disk 2. I use Shift + CTRL + F2 but the second disk is not loaded? I've tried on othe games too without success. I must be doing something wrong, but not sure what. I'm using !Acorn Mode with ADFFS v2 (as installed on Risc OS direct 5.27). Any help would be appreciated...
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Try swapping discs outside of the game to confirm it works. If you open ADFS:0 at the desktop and swap discs, it should close the window which makes it obvious that it’s working.

What is !Acorn Mode? It sounds like some kind of compatibility layer, which might interfere with ADFFS.
richw

Post by richw »

I think AcornMode is an R-Comp branded port of ArcEm. So running an Archie emulator on a 'modern Archie'!