RISCOS Pi errors when playing games

General development discussion not covered by a specific forum
regin

RISCOS Pi errors when playing games

Post by regin »

Hi,

Just wondering if I'm doing something silly? I'm trying to play a couple of the games I've downloaded from this site, on RISCOS RC11 on a Pi.

I'm using the latest ADFFS, again from here, and can associate the image files, and double click them with ADFFS running.

But when I try to run them I get errors. If I try to run Manchester United Europe just within the desktop, it tells me that it's not a 32-bir program. But if I do a boot from floppy using ADFFS, I just get a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Am I doing something silly?! I was, once, familiar with RISCOS, but as you may guess, that was RISCOS2 on my A3000 in 1990. 2mb though!
richw

Re: RISCOS Pi errors when playing games

Post by richw »

I do not think there is yet any solution for running non-32-bit games on a Pi.

Simplest solution now would be to try ArcEm (for RISC OS) which should run on the Pi, and give you a plain Archimedes emulation. ADFFS should run within ArcEm.
regin

Post by regin »

Ah sorry I didn't get that - I thought they'd somehow been converted to 32-bit. I thought it might be something silly.
richw

Post by richw »

To be fair, from what Jon has said elsewhere, I think it is the eventual aim (to have everything 32-bit neutral).

It seems to me that if you have a basic Archimedes (e.g. A310, A3000) then you have the best compatibility. Efforts have been made to get titles to work on the later Acorn machines (e.g. A5000, Risc PC - even with StrongARM and/or RISC OS 4).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

We've not started on the CPU or VIDC shims yet, only the main soundtrackers have been converted to 32bit

However, I've just come back from holiday and have pages and pages of notes for the ARM2 compatibility, so hope to start coding that next week.
tlsa1

Post by tlsa1 »

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

tlsa1 wrote:Have you seen this thread?
I have, David and I have been chatting about the 26bit aspects of the project.