QTM v1.44 development version

Discuss SoundTrackers, shims to QTM, 32bitting and ARMv7 compatibility
JonAbbott

Re: QTM v1.44 development version

Post by JonAbbott »

andretim wrote:Since you started extending the format support, I may as well list all the knowledge I collected about the ProTracker like formats:
That's all very useful info, thank-you. I'm not sure of Steve's plans for extending QTM, but for the purposes of this project I'd certainly like to replace all the tracker modules with QTM for 32bit support.

It's not totally essential for the project as we can and have converted modules to 32bit via disassembly and modifying. QTM does have advantages though on Acorn machines, as it corrects for VIDC speed which can be an issue with some trackers.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:Steve, how far is 1.44 from a releasable state? We'll need to release it before we can release Chuck Rock.
Steve, any update on this?

Also, could you please take a look at the two tracker files in Mad Professor Mariarti (ARCPROFMUS, MPTITLMUS), neither play with QTM.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

Hi Jon,
I emailed you on Tuesday, but not sure if your email is working - as I got a 'message undeliverable' error later in the week - just spotted it.

I've put the dev version of QTMv1.45 on the ftp. All documentation is in there. You need to have a quick look at the ReadChannelData SWI, and correct Mus2QTM.

Looking at a ~Christmas release date for v1.45, after testing is complete.
Cheers,
Steve
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

andretim wrote:Since you started extending the format support, I may as well list all the knowledge I collected about the ProTracker like formats:

Offset &43C:
CHNx FastTracker x channels
CHxx FastTracker xx channels
FAxx DigitalTracker xx channels
FLTx StarTrekker 4/8 channels, the 8 ch patterns are store as 2 successive 4ch patterns
TDZx TakeTracker x channels
CDx1 Octalyser 6/8 channels
OKTA Oktalyzer 8 channels
NSMS SoundTracker31 4 channels
M.K. ProTracker 4 channels
M&K! "
M!K! "
N.T. "

Offset &7e0:
TXPx The Xperience x channels, 62 instruments in Archimedes LOG format, VBLANK mode (Fxx is speed even when >= 32)

Offset &5bc
MTN\0 Soundtracker 2.6, 4 channels, patterns of 1 channel (like Digital Symphony), note: \0 means a &00 byte
IT10 IceTracker, 4 channels, patterns of 1 channel (like Digital Symphony)

Otherwise we assume it's a 15 samples SoundTracker:
4 channels, 15 samples, VBLANK mode, sample repeat offset (but not repeat length) is in bytes instead of words, instead of the restart position you get a tempo.
If there is no effect nr > 2 if could possibly be the very old "Ultimate SoundTracker" with an different effects mapping (1xy is arpeggio, 2xy is pitch slide x=down, y=up, x has priority) but there is real effective way to be sure.

Misc:
Some programs use an extra octave so if TimPlayer finds such a note in a pattern when it loads the file it increases the upper pitch limit for pitch slides by one octave.

The TimPlayer module allows to set some compatibility flags:
- "Ultimate SoundTracker", thought this flag is reset if the we are sure it can't be one (> 15 samples or effects nr > 2)
- VBLANK mode, some files where converted from SoundTracker to ProTracker and so speed Fxx >= 32 are incorrectly treated as a tempo
- No sample swap, by default TimPlayer assumes that if you specify in a pattern a sample without an associated note, the current note continues with the new sample data. With this flag the note continues with the old sample but sample volume is set to volume of new sample. Apparently this behaviour changed even between different versions of the same tracker.
Wow, thanks Andre.

This is really useful - I should check back in here more often...! (but with wedding and honeymoon taking up the last 2 months, I've not had a chance, so only just read this today).

However, I have been updating QTM and had already worked out some of what you describe above. The new version of QTM, v1.45, now supports FastTracker/Octalyser 6/8 channel format internally, with ProTracker for the 4 channel format.

Previously QTM used StarTrekker FLT8 format for 8-channels internally, but it now converts these on loading to FastTracker, as the FastTracker pattern layout is more efficient to work with.

I also rewrote much of QTMs pitch/tuning code, to allow the extra octave(s) of FastTracker. QTMv1.45 now fully supports 6 octaves with fine tuning/pitch slides/arpeggio/etc. for FastTracker mods (however it restricts to 3 octaves for ProTracker/etc. so those mods play as expected). I've also added partial 7th and 8th octave support, mainly for converters to use (as I don't think many trackers went that low, and quality gets pretty bad down there), but it may help converting from obscure Trackers...(Coconizer is so far the only one I've found that allows these extra-low octaves).

Do you have example .mods in all the formats you list above? I'd love to add these to QTM where possible, but finding of the obscure format mods to test with QTM is a challenge...
Steve
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:Also, could you please take a look at the two tracker files in Mad Professor Mariarti (ARCPROFMUS, MPTITLMUS), neither play with QTM.
Jon, I don't know what version of QTM these don't play on - I've tried the current release and several old QTM versions, and all play these files perfectly...

I'm using the Mad Prof .jfd F1023301.

It would be helpful if you can let me know the QTM version number you had the problems with (and was it a test version?) and if you can email me the problem music files directly, or put them on the ftp site, so I can be sure I'm using *exactly* the same files you are. Also, if you can give me a pointer as to the problem you saw - ie. does it crash/refuse to load/play nothing, and what computer was it on?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

steve3000 wrote:Jon, I don't know what version of QTM these don't play on - I've tried the current release and several old QTM versions, and all play these files perfectly...

I'm using the Mad Prof .jfd F1023301.

It would be helpful if you can let me know the QTM version number you had the problems with
I tested with QTM1.43 and 1.44 beta on the Pi and 3.71 emulation. Just silence when playing them, even tried manually loading them via. MusLoad / MusOn. I'll test with QTM1.45, although the issue could be in Mus2QTM if they're playing for you.

Sound effects we're working okay, although I'm not sure if they're going through Mus2QTM. I didn't spend a lot of time looking into it if I'm honest, I was quickly testing VIDC1 games on the Pi to see which worked. This one stood out as it was the only Mus2QTM one that was silent, so I quickly loaded it up on 3.71 and got the same result.

All versions if Mad Prof we're doing it, you have the correct files.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:I tested with QTM1.43 and 1.44 beta on the Pi and 3.71 emulation. Just silence when playing them, even tried manually loading them via. MusLoad / MusOn. I'll test with QTM1.45, although the issue could be in Mus2QTM if they're playing for you.

Sound effects we're working okay, although I'm not sure if they're going through Mus2QTM. I didn't spend a lot of time looking into it if I'm honest, I was quickly testing VIDC1 games on the Pi to see which worked. This one stood out as it was the only Mus2QTM one that was silent, so I quickly loaded it up on 3.71 and got the same result.

All versions if Mad Prof we're doing it, you have the correct files.
Ok, it's possibly a glitch somewhere with Mus2QTM then - I just opened the MadProf directory and double clicked the music files - both played perfectly on QTM. Seems odd though, as only one affected programme, does MadProf use any Mus2QTM features which other titles don't use?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

steve3000 wrote:Ok, it's possibly a glitch somewhere with Mus2QTM then - I just opened the MadProf directory and double clicked the music files - both played perfectly on QTM. Seems odd though, as only one affected programme
I simply loaded QTM, Mus2QTM and then double clicked the files. I thought it odd as well.

I'm wondering if I was just doing something stupid now! Will test later tonight and report back.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:Will test later tonight and report back.
I've tracked the problem down to sloppy coding on my part in Mus2QTM. Lord only knows how it was even working in the first place as it was exiting some of the SWI's via LDR R14, [R13], #4 instead of LDR PC, [R13], #4

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I've upload Mus2QTM010.zip and the compiled MusMod2 module to /development/trackermodules/mus2qtm

EDIT: I've not updated for the changes in QTM 1.45 yet - I'll probably wait until we can release it QTM is ready to release, in case anything changes.
swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

steve3000 wrote:
andretim wrote:Offset &7e0:
TXPx The Xperience x channels, 62 instruments in Archimedes LOG format, VBLANK mode (Fxx is speed even when >= 32)

Do you have example .mods in all the formats you list above? I'd love to add these to QTM where possible, but finding of the obscure format mods to test with QTM is a challenge...
Well, I think I might be able to help with one of them...

The TXP format is one which I originally described to Andre, on the basis that it was so similar to existing formats that I might be able to get him to add native support for it in lieu of having to write a converter of some kind.

I've only ever seen one example in the wild - the soundtrack to the Xperience's 'Era' demo, which has the identifier TXP8.

I could send you a rip of that if you like, but I don't think it would be very useful from an ADFFS or QTM perspective!

As for the history of the format, I don't have any evidence but I suspect it's related to an announcement in the credits text of TXP's previous demo, the musicdisk 'Phonology', which said all soundtracks were played on the soon-to-be-released 'Pepper Player'. The tracks in that demo are in bog-standard M.K. or 8CHN format, so maybe it evolved later.