MusMod 2 QTM v0.01 available

Discuss SoundTrackers, shims to QTM, 32bitting and ARMv7 compatibility
JonAbbott

Re: MusMod 2 QTM v0.01 available

Post by JonAbbott »

This module appears to work for BlowPipe, except the firing laser sound is wrong. I'm not sure if that's generated by the MusMod module or not, on RO3.1 it seems to knock out a sound channel when you fire, so I think it may be.

I've put an update Obey.zip file on the dev site so you can "Boot floppy" to load it.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:
JonAbbott wrote:This shim seems to work for Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 on RO3.71
Having compared the audio on RO3.5 vs RO3.71, the stereo positioning is wrong on RO3.71. Not sure if that's down to QTM, the shim or RO, I'd guess RO - probably a change to SWI behaviour.
Interesting... I'd love to have time to investigate, but that's off the cards until after the wedding now - all free time has vanished!

Were there any other differences in the machines? The obvious one to me is that the RO3.5 machine must have been using 8-bit sound, was the RO3.71 machine also 8-bit? All my (recent) testing was on a 8-bit sound RiscPC, although there's a 16-bit upgrade on eBay right now so might have a go for that...
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:This module appears to work for BlowPipe, except the firing laser sound is wrong. I'm not sure if that's generated by the MusMod module or not
The sound effect implementation is very experimental as I have only guessed what the MusMod SWI parameters are. I expect the pitch is wrong? Or is it the wrong noise?

The fact you hear anything at all will be *really* useful for development purposes when I can get back to this. If you have any other games that actually play sounds via MusMod2QTM please list them :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

steve3000 wrote:Interesting... I'd love to have time to investigate, but that's off the cards until after the wedding now - all free time has vanished!

Were there any other differences in the machines? The obvious one to me is that the RO3.5 machine must have been using 8-bit sound, was the RO3.71 machine also 8-bit? All my (recent) testing was on a 8-bit sound RiscPC, although there's a 16-bit upgrade on eBay right now so might have a go for that...
It would have been under emulation, so I'm not sure if it was 8-bit or 16-bit. It's not a big issue, just something we need to add to the follow-up list.
steve3000 wrote:
JonAbbott wrote:This module appears to work for BlowPipe, except the firing laser sound is wrong. I'm not sure if that's generated by the MusMod module or not
The sound effect implementation is very experimental as I have only guessed what the MusMod SWI parameters are. I expect the pitch is wrong? Or is it the wrong noise?

The fact you hear anything at all will be *really* useful for development purposes when I can get back to this. If you have any other games that actually play sounds via MusMod2QTM please list them :)
Hard to tell if the pitch is wrong, it could be now I think about it. You'll have to cast your trained ears over it at some point.

I just tested Chuck Rock, the music works, but no sound effects. Would it help if I 32-bitted the module so you have some source to look at regards the SWI table?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:Would it help if I 32-bitted the module so you have some source to look at regards the SWI table?
Seems I've already done most of the work on this, I'll try to figure out the SWI entry values and get the source on the dev site.

I can pick up this shim until you're free again.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:I can pick up this shim until you're free again.
More than happy with that - give me a shout if there's any information you need or anything in the source which isn't obvious.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Testing with Chuck Rock:

SWI Mus_Effect
R0 - Sample address (logarithmic sample data)
R1 - Volume (0-255)
R2 - Sample length
R3 - Pitch

Have added this to swi_museffect and it's working wonderfully. Still need to work out Mus_Patch and Mus_EffectStatus although we may get away with ignoring these, I'll test on some other games.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:This module appears to work for BlowPipe, except the firing laser sound is wrong.
The sounds are now correct in BlowPipe, somewhat intermittent though. I let QTM decide what channel to put the sound on, doesn't sound like it's working as well as I'd hoped.

I forgot to add that MUS2QTM 0.02 source is on the dev site.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Battle Chess, Chuck Rock, Hero Quest and James Pond all seem okay.

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, the sound effects are really broken but the music seems okay.

Both Battle Chess and Manchester United use a blank music file, when music is turned off. QTM doesn't understand it though:

Manchester United - !!MUFC!!.ZilchMus (The music doesn't stop when you start a game)
Battle Chess - !Battle.NOTHING (I've worked around this I think by just commenting it out and using MusOff)

On the plus side, most of the MusicModule / MusicModule2 / MusicModule3 games work okay.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

JonAbbott wrote:Testing with Chuck Rock:

SWI Mus_Effect
R0 - Sample address (logarithmic sample data)
R1 - Volume (0-255)
R2 - Sample length
R3 - Pitch

Have added this to swi_museffect and it's working wonderfully. Still need to work out Mus_Patch and Mus_EffectStatus although we may get away with ignoring these, I'll test on some other games.
Hey great progress!
Really pleased you've got that working. Is MusEffect SWI one of the double-mapped ones? (I can't recall, and am away from the notes I made) - Hopefully not anyway...