How to install and use ADFFS

Floppy Disc Controller emulator and virtual IOC/IOMD/ARM JIT for modern RISC OS machines
JonAbbott

How to install and use ADFFS

Post by JonAbbott »

If you have an Internet connected RISC PC or newer, you can download ADFFS and packaged games via PackMan using one of the following source URLs:

https://www.jaspp.org.uk/packages/release
http://www.jaspp.org.uk/packages/release

For older machines:
  1. Download and install the self-extracting version of SparkFS, the linked page details how to do this
  2. Double-click on !SparkFS to run it
  3. Download the latest stable release of ADFFS ZIP file from this forum, or beta if available, from the Development/ADFFS forum
  4. Double-click to open the archive with SparkFS. If necessary, change it's filetype to Zip
  5. Drag the !ADFFS app to your harddisc
  6. Double-click on the extracted !ADFFS to launch it
You can now download released games from this site (or the package games via PackMan) and double-click on the JFD floppy images to open them with ADFFS. If necessary, change their filetype to Floppy first. Note that you do not need to remove the /jfd extension, ADFFS is aware of PC file extensions.

To run the games, instructions are included on each download page, but generally, right-click on the ADFFS Filer icon and select Boot floppy. On multi-disk games, press CTRL-SHIFT-F1 thru F9 to swap discs.

To run games that aren't distributed by JASPP, you can either image them to JFD using ADFFS or manually run their Boot script which can be found within the boot script ZIP archive: !ADFFS.Obey
Blenn

Re: How to install and use ADFFS

Post by Blenn »

Will this work with ARMX6 as I would love to play some of the games I used to play on my old Riscpc
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

It will, provided your monitor supports legacy resolutions and you have the correct entries in your monitor MDF.

You'd be better off with a Pi for gaming, due to its upscaler.
Blenn

Post by Blenn »

Thanks I have a pi I can use.