Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Download games the project has approval to release
JonAbbott
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Essex

Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Image Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

ID: 10081
Version: Unknown
Developer: Core Design; Andrew Ware (conversion); Shaun Hollingworth (conversion)
Genre: Platformer
RAM: 2048

CPU compatibility: ARM2 ARM250 ARM3 ARM610 ARM700 ARM710 ARM7500 StrongARM ARMv5+
OS compatibility: 3.11 3.5x 3.6x 3.7x 4.x 5.x

Legal info: Distribution rights held by JASPP


Download: Full archive (3.5mb)

Image Image


Game info
To run the game use "Boot floppy" from the ADFFS Filer.


Synopsis

Chuck Rock hasn't been the same since his long time rival in love, the evil Gary Gritter, kidnapped his wife, the beautiful Ophelia.

Help Chuck in his quest to rescue Ophelia from the clutches of the evil Gary. Kick, throw rocks and belly-but your way your way through a multitude of comical zones featuring 500 screens of exciting addictive gameplay.
Screenshots
Image Image
Gameplay

KarateEd
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by KarateEd » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Hi Jon,

On this program, I'm running it on an A3010 with 2M RAM. When it gets to the "Insert disk 2", I don't quite know how to get past that. The preamble runs fine but then it asks for the 2nd diskette and.... no luck getting past it.

Is there something special I have to do? I've actually run this on both the A3010 and Arculator with no satisfaction and the same result on both.

Thanks very much,

Ed......:-)

JonAbbott
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:15 am

What does it do when you try to switch to disk 2? Ensure the image filenames end with the disk no., otherwise it won't find the 2nd floppy image, eg F1008101 and F1008102

KarateEd
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by KarateEd » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 am

Hi Jon,

I think what I did was get the files to open with !ADFFS and then copy the files to the floppy.

I did rename it to Disk2 I think and it doesn't properly see the diskette in the drive.

Is this protection or did I just do it wrong?

Thanks,

Ed......:-)

JonAbbott
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:21 pm

That won't work, you need to mount them as floppies with !ADFFS for the disk protected to work.

KarateEd
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by KarateEd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:10 am

Hi Jon,

Ok, I'm back to playing with the A3010. I have stripped the jfd off both files. They are identical except for the last 2 numbers. No problem getting disk 1 to run, the video part..... however, it never sees disk 2. I suppose this should be under the non-SA version but this is where the thread was originially.

So, both disk 1 and 2 are set to floppy. I know disk one should be, what about disk 2, is that also correct for that disk as it really only holds data maybe that should be the setting? I'm not really sure how to get disk 2 to read.

What I get on the screen is "INSERT DISK 2
& PRESS FIRE."

When I press Fire, this screen just keeps popping up.

Thanks for any help you can give. This process will be learned eventually and then applied to all multiple disk games for me....whew!

Ed...... :-)

JonAbbott
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:05 am

Firstly confirm the filenames match, by checking you can swap between the discs at the desktop. If that works, it's been unable to allocate memory to mount disc 2.

I'm guessing you're running the game directly off the floppy, instead of using "Boot floppy" with !SparkFS loaded. Off the top of my head, the boot script reserves memory (via ADFReserveMemory) to allow disk swapping to work with this title.

KarateEd
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by KarateEd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:14 pm

JonAbbott wrote:Firstly confirm the filenames match, by checking you can swap between the discs at the desktop. If that works, it's been unable to allocate memory to mount disc 2.

I'm guessing you're running the game directly off the floppy, instead of using "Boot floppy" with !SparkFS loaded. Off the top of my head, the boot script reserves memory (via ADFReserveMemory) to allow disk swapping to work with this title.
The file names do match as per your previous instructions. I put the 2 files on my hard drive which is where I'm running them from because I now have a hard drive and 4 M of memory. I open folder one and then click boot floppy and it runs but when it comes to run disk 2, it's within the program and disk 2 never runs. !SparkFS is also loaded.

I'm guessing I'm really close to getting this but I'm probably doing something just a bit wrong, darned if I can figure out what.

Edit: I haven't tried the *ADFReserveMemory 832 yet. Maybe it's just that simple..... can't load the image because of lack of reserved RAM.

Ed...... :-)

JonAbbott
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 pm

I presume you tried swapping discs at the desktop via CTRL-SHIFT-F2 and it swapped okay?
KarateEd wrote:I'm guessing I'm really close to getting this but I'm probably doing something just a bit wrong, darned if I can figure out what.
Have you tried pressing SPACE after swapping discs?
KarateEd wrote:Edit: I haven't tried the *ADFReserveMemory 832 yet. Maybe it's just that simple..... can't load the image because of lack of reserved RAM.
No need if you have SparkFS loaded and are using "Boot Floppy", the boot script reserves 800K for the disk 2 swap.

KarateEd
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Re: Chuck Rock (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by KarateEd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:36 pm

JonAbbott wrote:I presume you tried swapping discs at the desktop via CTRL-SHIFT-F2 and it swapped okay?
KarateEd wrote:I'm guessing I'm really close to getting this but I'm probably doing something just a bit wrong, darned if I can figure out what.
Have you tried pressing SPACE after swapping discs?
KarateEd wrote:Edit: I haven't tried the *ADFReserveMemory 832 yet. Maybe it's just that simple..... can't load the image because of lack of reserved RAM.
No need if you have SparkFS loaded and are using "Boot Floppy", the boot script reserves 800K for the disk 2 swap.
Yes, couldn't remember at first what the 'fire' button was then remembered it was space so when I do that, the screen blips and the same message is returned to me.

The other question I had that you didn't answer yet is: Disk 2, should it be set to data or floppy or does it even matter?

Thanks Jon,

Ed...... :-)

Post Reply