Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Discuss ADFFS development versions and upcoming additions
Mikecad

Re: Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Post by Mikecad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Just to ask the question, in terms of ADFSS development, has it moved beyond ROS 3.11 in compatibility now, I'm using 2.20, is this the highest version I can go to?

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Mikecad wrote:Interestingly when mounting the ADF files for Chocks with ADFFS, trying to launch !Chocks still gives a bad disk error, if I convert them to HFE and mount them in my HXC the game runs fine.
If an ADF is generating a disk error under ADFFS, it's probably a truncated image and missing the last few sectors.
Mikecad wrote:Just to ask the question, in terms of ADFSS development, has it moved beyond ROS 3.11 in compatibility now, I'm using 2.20, is this the highest version I can go to?
Not sure what you mean with regard to compatibility, are you referring to the games it gets running on the Pi?

The latest publicly available version is the London Show 2.52 build

Mikecad

Post by Mikecad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:27 pm

In terms of the A3000 running RiscOS 3.11, I'm retro :)

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Mikecad wrote:In terms of the A3000 running RiscOS 3.11, I'm retro :)
Still not quite sure what you're asking. ADFFS has always been compatible with RO3.11

Mikecad

Post by Mikecad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Ah so it's only Pi that has the RISC OS 5.23 requirement and you're maintaining compatibility with the real hardware and their respective OS versions.

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Mikecad wrote:Ah so it's only Pi that has the RISC OS 5.23 requirement and you're maintaining compatibility with the real hardware and their respective OS versions.
As per my post yesterday regarding Page Zero relocation, all machines after IOMD will require a High Vector build of RISCOS for the JIT to work.

On IOMD, as High Vectors aren't possible, the JIT interprets LDR to trap Page Zero reads and it's obviously not relevant to IOC as the games aren't being managed by ADFFS.

ADFFS is essentially just a floppy emulator on IOC, on IOMD it emulates the IOC chipset and on StrongARM and above it acts as a Hypervisor.