ADFFS 2.83

Floppy Disc Controller emulator and virtual IOC/IOMD/ARM JIT for modern RISC OS machines
BrettRogersUK123

Re: ADFFS 2.83

Post by BrettRogersUK123 »

Hi Jon,

I'm using version 0.9.7 of packman that was incorporated in the RiscOS Open firmware for the Pi.

When I try to access https://www.jaspp.org.uk in a browser it tells me there is an issue and the website is blocked. Same with http://www.jaspp.org.uk and even the address for the source in packman too. Comes up website blocked.

I can obviously use the forums but can't directly access the website.

I can't attach pics on here to show you but it does fail for me with a syntax error message and none of the games etc are listed as it errors at that point trying to add the lists.

Regards,

Brett
BrettRogersUK123

Post by BrettRogersUK123 »

I've figured it out now.

My ISP was blocking the sitenfor some reason. I've added it to the allowed list on my router now (eero6) and can access the site and packages list now.

Regards,

Brett
wmd

Post by wmd »

There seems to be a problem with F1021701 K.V. [v1.01]. When you get a high score, enter your name on the high score table, then press 6 to return to desktop, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Internal error: abort on data transfer at &01870C7C
This only happens after getting a high score then returning to desktop. Possibly something to do with saving the high score file on exit, as when you reload the game, the high scores have been reset, and I'm fairly sure the game saves high scores as there is a file in the DATA folder called SCOR. I'm playing the game installed to HDD, using ADFBootFloppy F1021701.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:45 pm There seems to be a problem with F1021701 K.V. [v1.01]
I'll investigate later, in the meantime...

What model of machine are you running on? If it's an Acorn machine, try putting the original !Run back and see what it does when you exit back to the desktop.

I vaguely recall K.V. having a Wimp front-end, but can't remember if it's being stripping out or altered in some way by the script. If games have pointless Wimp front-ends that don't do anything other than launch the game, I usually strip them out so it can patch bugs in the game code...which may or may not be applicable here. There are some bugs being patched in at least one of the K.V. releases.
wmd

Post by wmd »

JonAbbott wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 am What model of machine are you running on?
A5000 Alpha 4MB, RISC OS 3.11.
JonAbbott wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 am If it's an Acorn machine, try putting the original !Run back and see what it does when you exit back to the desktop.
With the JFD mounted, and then running the game from the HDD install with the original !Run file (if that's what you meant), I get this error:

Code: Select all

File '<KV$Dir>.KV not found
The game then boots and the game icons appear on the iconbar as normal - the level designer icon and the game icon. Exit back to desktop doesn't give the error - tested without getting a high score and tested after getting a high score. If you get a high score though, it isn't saved.
JonAbbott wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 amI vaguely recall K.V. having a Wimp front-end, but can't remember if it's being stripping out or altered in some way by the script. If games have pointless Wimp front-ends that don't do anything other than launch the game, I usually strip them out so it can patch bugs in the game code...which may or may not be applicable here.
K.V. puts two icons on the icon bar, one for the level designer, and one to launch the game.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:45 pm There seems to be a problem with F1021701 K.V. [v1.01]
It's a bug in the game where it's not waiting for the Sound to shutdown before exiting back to the Wimp, which in turn is causing an Abort where the Wimp has paged the app out of memory.

It wasn't occurring with the original because it was pointing the channel handler into Page Zero - which the script was correcting.

Grab the latest obey.zip, where I've pointed the channel handler at itself. I've also adjusted the script to patch all bugs back to RISC OS 3.1x.

There's another issue though as it doesn't appear to save the highscores. I'll need to look through its BASIC code to see what triggers a highscore save before I know more.

EDIT: Unless I've missed it, I can't find any code in either the BASIC or encrypted code that saves the highscore table. The SCOR file appears to be used in the Designer to reset the highscore table.

EDIT2: The !Help file that comes with K.V. v1.00 states:
If you wish to save the highscore table use Save from the designer menu
Qjimbo

Post by Qjimbo »

Just wanted to pop in again and say - thank you for doing this and keeping this project going all these years.

I wanted to just add that I really think it would be cool if there was more general purpose information about using ADFFS - like the whole "GOARM3JIT" and "ADFRemapVideoMemory" commands which basically can get any old game running, I don't think this is known about enough.

Something else I was wondering was it would be neat if there was a way to drag a !program onto the ADFFS icon and it would preconfigure it for specific JITs, maybe with a wizard or something? Then after that you can just run it. I understand we have the boot floppy scripts but being able to double click an icon is much more user friendly. Just some random ideas :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Qjimbo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 am it would be cool if there was more general purpose information about using ADFFS - like the whole "GOARM3JIT" and "ADFRemapVideoMemory" commands which basically can get any old game running, I don't think this is known about enough.
Are you after information on how they work at a low level? I gave a talk about that about ten years ago, but have never produced a low-level document beyond the slides on here from that talk - mainly because...well...who is the audience?
Qjimbo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 am it would be neat if there was a way to drag a !program onto the ADFFS icon and it would preconfigure it for specific JITs, maybe with a wizard or something? Then after that you can just run it. I understand we have the boot floppy scripts but being able to double click an icon is much more user friendly.
ADFFS is not really a turn-key solution like Aemulor which can be turned on and games just work. Games are a particular challenge to get running due to the way they generally access the system low-level and use all sorts of dodgy hacks for speed.

As a consequence ADFFS is essentially a collection of utilities that combined can get games running. If you take a look at a selection of scripts, you'll see quite a lot of them aren't straightforward as they're doing things like decoding game files and patching the code.

In many cases, specific OS versions, chipsets etc have to be emulator and I spent a lot of time figuring all that out to create the scripts.

So...although I could add the ability to drag/drop an app on the icon bar and it turns the JIT on for that process - its likely to result in a ton of support issues/questions from people that expect it to just work, that don't realise its not that simple.
djp

Post by djp »

Have come across an error that appears to be caused by a conflict between !ADFFS 2.83 and !KinoAmp.

If I run !KinoAmp by double-clicking it, while !ADFFS is running in the icon bar, I receive the following error:
Internal error: abort on data transfer at &0000AD48

Postmortem requested
ad48 in function read_modes
dbf4 in function main
Arg2: 0×0000dad0 56016 → [0xe1a0c00d 0xe92ddbf0 0xe24cb004 0xe24dcd05]
Arg1: 0×000194b8 103608 → [0×6f6e694b 0×7552213a 0×616d496e 0×63006567]
fc186c28 in shared library function
f174 in anonymous function

Press SPACE or click mouse to continue
However, if I double-click on a video file, !KinoAmp opens and the video plays without issue. Noticeably, however, the !KinoAmp icon does not appear in the tool bar.

Closing down !ADFFS and then running !KinoAmp by double-clicking the app, opens it as expected, placing its icon in the icon bar.

I’m running RISC OS Open 5.30 on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. RISC OS is running from an attached SanDisk Extreme Pro 160GB SSD USB stick. The system boots from a 1GB micro SD card that includes the necessary Raspberry Pi boot ROM, etc..

Everything else appears to be working happily with !ADFFS running (I have it setup to boot on start).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

djp wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:09 pm Have come across an error that appears to be caused by a conflict between !ADFFS 2.83 and !KinoAmp.
Does the ADFFS 2.84 beta trigger issue?