Command Ship - Need help running from Hard Drive

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Rob_hawk

Command Ship - Need help running from Hard Drive

Post by Rob_hawk »

Hi Jon,

Hope all is well. This is the follow on post from the https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598 chat we had last week.

I have now walked through your guidance and instructions from the F1008801 obey file and I had indeed made an error which I have now corrected. Although many of the issues I had previously reported are now resolved Command Ship still won’t run from Hard Disk. I think it’s close but it now is asking me to “Insert the original program disk in Drive 0”. What do I need to do to overcome this?

Today I have done the following (I tried to upload images to show you via the post but there’s not an option to do that (like Stardot):

1. Installed self extracting SparkFS again

2. Upgraded ADFFS from 2.80 to 2.81

3. Downloaded latest obey.zip file and placed in ADFFS folder

4. Added “ADFBootFloppy F1008801” line in !RUN obey file in place of all other contents (this is where I had gone wrong last time)

5. Ensured ADFFS was running before starting the !Command app icon

6. Clicked the !Command icon to run and received the “Insert the original program disk in Drive 0” message which is then followed by “The software has not loaded” message. And it’s from I’m hoping you can help.

Then re other games not running which is no longer an issue at all I checked the following in line with your previous advice:

1. Checked contents of ADFFS.!obey to ensure the script from the last boot floppy was present.

2. The F1008801 Command Ship was present as expected so it had obviously read the line from the !Command.!RUN correctly.

3. For completeness I checked the ADFFS.!obey file was correct after boot floppy for Speedball2 and Mad Prof. Both of these update the ADFFS.!obey file correctly.

So that just leaves how to finalise getting Command Ship running from Hard Disk. Do you have an idea as to what needs to be done or what I have done wrong!?

Thanks once again for your time. Look forward to hearing from you.

Rob
JonAbbott

Re: Command Ship - Need help running from Hard Drive

Post by JonAbbott »

Okay, there's no getting away from requiring the floppy then. Copy the floppy image into the !Command folder and rename it to F1008801, then change !Run to:

Code: Select all

ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.F1008801
ADFBootFloppy F1008801
As memory is really tight, you'll probably need to hold SHIFT when you power on to bypass the !Boot sequence, then load !ADFFS before finally running !Command.

I've tested and this does get it running on a 4MB Arc.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

JonAbbott wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:20 pm I've tested and this does get it running on a 4MB Arc.
Thanks Jon. So I now am able to get it to load, needed to hold shift down ans you say and also reduce the font cache to 32k to get it to start and it’s now up and running!

I’ve learned a good few things along the way over the past week with this so thanks very much for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Rob
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You could add * commands to the !Run to reduce the Font cache etc. *FontSize 32 in this case.

If you type *Help ADFFS at the commandline, you'll see all the * commands for modifying memory allocation. They're also mentioned in the Help file (right-click on !ADFFS and select Help)
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Thanks Jon I will look further at the * commands for ADFFS and see what I can do! For starters I can easily add the *FontSize 32 to the !Run file to simplify things and ensure I don’t forget in the future!!

I’ll be sure to update further if I make any other changes that could help others in future.