ADFFS 2.58 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.58 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Maybe the difference is that I am on a 50Hz setup and you are not?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: Maybe the difference is that I am on a 50Hz setup and you are not?
Almost certainly timing related, possibly around the order VSync and TickerV trigger at a guess.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated Modules and obey.zip on the dev site, which hopefully get Empire Soccer '94 working. I've quickly tested on Pi3, but it probably needs a play test as it was intermittently failing previously.

To get it working, I've implemented all the variations on LDR / STR where Rd=Rn (eg LDR R0,[R0,#16]! / STR R0,[R0],#16 etc) and added support to OS_FSControl to run directories (eg *ADFS::0.$.!App)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Whilst looking at Starch on Arculator, I created the boot script for it and uploaded a JFD floppy image to the dev site. It appears to run okay on Pi3.

I've also fixed an issue in the Environment handlers, which was causing OS_GenerateError to lock the Obey Module in an infinite loop.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Today's build is a step closer to getting this out of beta. You should now be able to CTRL-SHIFT-F12 to quit out of most games.

There's still some bugs to track down, but it's a marked improvement on previous builds.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have been testing this version and seems good with the exit combination working on most games! Some fail to exit, however, like Lemmings, The Dungeon, Diggers, Cataclysm, Checkered Flag, Fireball 2, Heroquest, The Last Ninja, PipeMania, Simon The Sorcerer...

Empire Soccer 94 works on the Pi2, and so does Starch.

Also, SWIV works perfectly in non-50Hz mode. So it's the 50Hz definitively. Can this be fixed or is it a hard issue?
Last edited by Vanfanel on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Some fail to exit, however, like Lemmings, The Dungeon...
Update your post if your find others that don't exit, as it may help track down the remaining issues.
Vanfanel wrote:SWIV works perfectly in non-50Hz mode. So it's the 50Hz definitively. Can this be fixed or is it a hard issue?
I just had a look at my notes on SWIV and it looks like its possibly a coding error on their part as I noted that its IRQ code wasn't re-entrant. It's not going to be an easy issue to track down, but does need doing as it's preventing me from switching the 50Hz VSync to be PLL based. I want to be certain it is the game and not a bug in ADFFS somewhere.

I would also like to switch APCS-R / APCS-32 games to use a localized CLib as it removes the requirement for the CLib shim code. It works for most games but causes Dune II to crash, so I've not put it up on the dev site yet until I've tracked down the problem. It will break all Wimp based games though, such as Elite, until I implement the full Wimp support. This is no small task though as it involved implementing pre-emptive multitasking.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:SWIV works perfectly in non-50Hz mode. So it's the 50Hz definitively. Can this be fixed or is it a hard issue?
Try the test build I've just put up, it will possibly break some games but may fix SWIV. It prevents elevated Vector code.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have updated the list of games failing to exit properly with CTRL+SHIFT+F12.

Also, the _test build hangs on a black screen with SWIV as soon as it's launched.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: I have updated the list of games failing to exit properly with CTRL+SHIFT+F12.

Also, the _test build hangs on a black screen with SWIV as soon as it's launched.
Thanks.

Try the test build without forcing 50Hz, I can't remember if I removed the code that causes it that bypass the frame rate regulation.