ADFFS 2.61 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.61 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Cannon Fodder seems to always crash the audio if I quit during the "mission complete" tune, with the soldiers waving their hands.
Try the latest Modules, which now report ADFFS aborts generated under the sound system. ADFFS is still left in an unstable state, but hopefully you'll at least see something if its ADFFS reporting an issue.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I got Cannon Fodder to crash if I quit (CTRL+SHIFT+F12) on the hill screen, while the soldiers are appearing from behind the hills.
But NOT the first time: run the game, get to the recruit hill screen, QUIT, load the game again, get to the hill screen, QUIT... and it crashes.
I don't see any info on why it crashes.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:NOT the first time: run the game, get to the recruit hill screen, QUIT, load the game again, get to the hill screen, QUIT... and it crashes.
Ah, there was me thinking it crashed on the first run. I know there's an issue with ADFFS resetting itself and/or the OS when terminating some games, it's either a bug or I've missed something. The majority of games terminate cleanly, so it's a case of looking at each issue and trying to find the cause.

I'll take a look at Cannon Fodder crashing on the second run tomorrow and see if anything obvious jumps out at me :?

EDIT: I've reproduced the issue, which appears to be sound specific as the keyboard still works.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Cannon Fodder seems to always crash the audio if I quit during the "mission complete" tune, with the soldiers waving their hands.
Hopefully fixed with today's build. It turned out to be IRQ1V code being called at VSync after the JIT had shutdown, I've reordered the shutdown process to compensate.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Yes, it has been fixed for good! I can't reproduce the crash anymore.

Also, I have tested a lot of the games you have in "untested". Could I edit the list in the first post and move them to the "tested" group?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I have tested a lot of the games you have in "untested". Could I edit the list in the first post and move them to the "tested" group?
You wont have access to edit that post, so I've moved the list to your first response for you to edit.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

F1022301 Last Ninja, The (1992) (Superior Software) (Shows messages on exit: "File HoldIt not found", "Module ninjaSticks not found", "Module ninjaSong not found", etc...
F1022801 Lemmings 2: The Tribes (1994) (Krisalis Software) (Shows messages on exit: "Module krisHardware not found"
F1031001 Rick Dangerous (1995) (The Hitmen Software) (Shows messages on exit: "Module TrkDriver not found")
Fixed in latest obey.zip
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

F1012801 Dune II - Battle for Arrakis (1995) (Eclipse) (v1.23F) (Crashes on exit via CTRL+SHIFT+F12)
Resolved with today's build.

EDIT: There is still an issue with the shutdown process as Confusion doesn't shutdown the JIT when terminated via CTRL+SHIFT+F12
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:There is still an issue with the shutdown process as Confusion doesn't shutdown the JIT when terminated via CTRL+SHIFT+F12
This turned out to be nothing to do with ADFFS, but has highlighted two issues:
  1. The blitter shuts down when terminating via CTRL-SHIFT-F12, so any errors etc aren't displayed and it would appears to hang if the mode doesn't change
  2. Running games from HD can result in the !Run Obey script terminating before its fully executed
When installing games to HD, care needs to be taken as some games won't continue to execute the !Run obey script when terminated. The workaround for games that exhibit this behaviour is to rename !Run to !Run2 and create a !Run with the following contents:

Code: Select all

Obey -c <Obey$Dir>.!Run2
There are updated Modules on the dev site, which resume the blitter once the running task has been terminated.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Testing has become a real headache with so many games to test. It wouldn't be so bad if more testers helped out at this stage in the process, but most have disappeared since the last release.

We're going to have to call it a day on testing every game and in future test a random sample, this will unfortunately result in more game breaking bugs being present in future releases, but I don't see any other option unless more testers get involved.

That said, I believe localised BASIC, which was the main goal of 2.61, is stable. Any new bugs are likely to be knock on effects from other bug fixes.

The last thing I want to look at before release is the flickering some games now exhibit when altering VIDC parameters, Cartoon Line pt.1 and Stunt Racer are affected by this. I'll fire up the "old OS build" Pi and rule out OS/Firmware changes before delving into the code as they flicker on all ADFFS builds that work on the current RISCOS build.