Rick Dangerous - no sound

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

Rick Dangerous - no sound

Post by JonAbbott »

As reported via eMail...

I've not managed to reproduce the issue, however the game does require ARM3 emulation to work which may or may not be a factor. Testing with both a recent build of Arculator and Red Squirrel, sound appears to be okay.
mfc

Re: Rick Dangerous - no sound under Arculator 0.99

Post by mfc »

That's odd, I get no sound with RedSquirrel either, can't test with that newer Arculator version since I cannot build it.

I did some further testing though and sound does work under RO3.7 (both RedSquirrel and RPCEmu), but game crashes right after the title screen with Rick with this error:
http://imgur.com/a/RdgVk

After pressing space get the same traker module error:
http://imgur.com/a/PJ7tV

Strangely sound does work. So it's either sound but no game with RO3.7 or game works, but no sound with RO3.1.
I tried with a vanilla Arculator install (0.99) without any !Boot installed to make sure it wasn't some conflicting module I had on my system, just running SparkFS and ADFFS and have the exact same issue.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

How are you running it? By launching the game directly, or via the Boot script in ADFFS?
mfc

Post by mfc »

Both ways give me the exact same error.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Try loading the Module and see if it loads:

Code: Select all

ADFS
DIR ADFS::0.$.!RickDang
RMLoad TrkDriver
Modules
If you have a !BOOT on your HD, try holding SHIFT when you fire up the emulator to clean boot, then run the game.
mfc

Post by mfc »

Yeah module loads if I load it manually (at least it shows up listed), but when exiting the game I get the exact same error message. Do you think the sound problem comes from that? Because sound is working under RO3.7 and yet I still get the exact same message.

I already tried on a setup with a !Boot, but tested again with my main one holding Shift as you suggested and no luck get the exact same behavior :(
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

All very odd, as the game works on both virtual and physical for me, with or without a boot sequence.

I've upload a working Arculator to the /incoming area, download that, load SparkFS then !ADFFS, mount the floppy and boot it and see if you get sound.

If you use the latest boot script it should at least stop the error on exit. The game terminates the TrkPlayer module if exited via ESC and the script wasn't checking for this.
mfc

Post by mfc »

Ok, so your version had the exact same issue, the TrkDriver error has gone away though, so that part is fixed.

I started looking at every single setting in Arculator and finally managed to get the sound working. I need to disable "Stereo Sound" from the Options menu after doing that got sound working! This is strange because I never had to change this setting for any other game before (And I tested well over 100 of them) so not sure what's special with this one to require it, but at least it's working now.

I'm curious to know if you get sound with "Stereo Sound" enabled on your end because then it would really be strange.
JonAbbott

Re: Rick Dangerous - no sound

Post by JonAbbott »

mfc wrote:I'm curious to know if you get sound with "Stereo Sound" enabled on your end because then it would really be strange.
I get sound with or without Stereo Sound enabled.

With the game loaded through ADFFS and "Stereo Sound" enabled, try pressing CTRL-SHIFT-Left or CTRL-SHIFT-Right to switch all sound to one channel and see if you get any audio.
mfc

Re: Rick Dangerous - no sound

Post by mfc »

Yeah that works, as soon as I switch all sound to the right channel it starts playing. Didn't know those shortcuts thanks.
Do you have an explanation on why you get sound with Stereo Sound enabled or not? I'm still scratching my head on that part.