Need some help - RiscPC RiscOS 3.70

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
javierglez

Need some help - RiscPC RiscOS 3.70

Post by javierglez »

Hello, I recently acquired a RiscPC which came with RiscOS 3.70 and SparkFS 1.28 installed.
It has an Ethernet card and a web browser installed too, so I could download ADFFS 2.60 and a few games to the hard drive straight from this site.
But most of the games jsp images have space characters into their filenames - such as "Lemmings (1991) (Kr".
I can't get to change their file type to "Floppy", nor to rename or move them.
Failed to rename it from the task window too.
I managed to run Lemmings with ADFFS on my Raspberry Pi B+, where I didn't encounter this issue.
Should I update RiscOS ? or Spark FS ? Am I missing some step ? I'm quite a RiscOS noob.
Thanks
JonAbbott

Re: Need some help - RiscPC RiscOS 3.70

Post by JonAbbott »

The spaces will translate to hard spaces, which I believe is ALT+SPACE on the keyboard. You should be able to drag them to the HD and rename or set the filetype via Middle Mouse Button then select rename etc.

I thought RO3.7 supported long filenames, provided the HD is the the new format. Not really my area of expertise, you probably want to ask on Stardot.
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

RISC OS 3.7 has not yet the new filecore which supports long filenames. You need to work around the issue, e.g. by using raFS or X-Files or TBAFS or LongFiles. Or you just use a network FS supporting long filenames.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Looks like I have LongFiles installed on all my Acorn machines.
javierglez

Post by javierglez »

Thanks I'll try LongFiles. Then I plan to order the RiscOS 5.2 CD too.
javierglez

Post by javierglez »

I'm posting now just to acknowledge that I followed the LongFiles instructions and afterwards was able to run a few games. Although I'd say that the video quality for Lemmings was better when I ran it from a floppy disk on my A3010, using the same monitor, a BenQ 912 LCD.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Whilst testing during the week, I noticed the video timing is out in Lemmings on a RiscPC. ADFFS uses EGA on VGA when run on a RiscPC, so anything that relies on vertical timing will be out.

I believe Lemmings 2 has an environment variable to set the timing, which is missing in Lemmings. At some point, I'll modify the code to allow it to be manually set.