YouTube videos

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
JonAbbott

YouTube videos

Post by JonAbbott »

I've made a start on recording games running on the Pi, the first being Elite which was 32bit converted last year and is running natively.

Over the coming weeks, I'll upload short play videos of games that run on the Pi under ADFFS and the games that run under the next ADFFS beta.

grannyg

Re: YouTube videos

Post by grannyg »

Will 32bit Elite be releasable any time soon and is it likely to work on RPi2, omap3/4/5?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

grannyg wrote:Will 32bit Elite be releasable any time soon and is it likely to work on RPi2, omap3/4/5?
It's ARMv7 compatible so will work on all current RISCOS machines, but is unlikely to ever be released.

The conversion was done in conjunction with Hybrid, who provided partial source code to convert to 32bit, add frame regulation and fix some bugs in the line drawing code. Having done this and conducted testing over a period of a few months, rights to release were sadly retracted.
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

Nice vid. Are you playing on mouse?

Was there ever an analogue joystick for the Archimedes?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ringdings wrote:Are you playing on mouse?
Keyboard, I find it impossible to play with the mouse! Guess I'm too used to the original BBC version.
ringdings wrote:Was there ever an analogue joystick for the Archimedes?
I believe there were, I couldn't name any of them though. If you ask over on StarDot, I'm sure someone will know which makes and interface you need to use them.
swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I'm a big fan of the World of Longplays YouTube channel, and I've always thought it'd be good to get some RISC OS games up on there. I'd do it myself for a few games if I knew how to record video from a RiscPC! I suspect the format would require some form of tool-assistance to be implemented, though, unless you're just that good. (Don't suppose save-states are on the roadmap for ADFFS? ;) )
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Added a few more demo mode videos:

Ballarena

Gribbly's Day Out

Zarch

swirlythingy wrote:Don't suppose save-states are on the roadmap for ADFFS?
Saving state is on the roadmap, but I've no idea how I'm going to implement it - haven't given it much thought. Ahead of it I need to add delta writes back to floppy images and flushing back to HD so you can keep your save games. At the moment you have to run games from HD to be able to keep your saves/highscores etc. and not many games support that.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

Rotor
richw

Post by richw »

ringdings wrote:Was there ever an analogue joystick for the Archimedes?
I believe there were, I couldn't name any of them though. If you ask over on StarDot, I'm sure someone will know which makes and interface you need to use them.
There was a product called the 'Delta Cat' which plugged into the mouse port. Works with mouse-controlled games like Chocks Away, Zarch or E-Type. The typical joystick interfaces were Atari-style, as featured on the C64, Amiga and ST machines.

Remember that Acorns all came with a mouse, but not a joystick port. Amiga owners all had joysticks! So many Acorn games were mouse or keyboard, with the joystick interfaces emulating keypresses (so digital).
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

I used to play Elite on the BBC with a Voltmace analogue joystick. When I played it on the Amiga for the first time with a digital joystick it was a bit of a disappointment

@Jon
What resolution is your desktop in the YouTube videos?