pi-topUtils 1.05

Keyboard/HID driver and battery indicator for pi-top laptops
JonAbbott

Re: pi-top utilities

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 pm Pac-Mania title screen with the scrolling film-like graphics, Fireball II scrolling text...
Other games DON'T show this problem, like HeroQuest scrolling text, that's perfectly smooth with no hiccups.
What mode do you have configured in CONFIG/TXT? Are you using my custom 1360x768 50Hz mode?
Vanfanel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 pm -There's still the problem that I get a 'B' character sometimes if I tap on the trackpad. Can you see that? You must have an editor open to see it.
My trackpad doesn't do that. Perhaps your firmware treats a tap as a mouse click, but is passing the wrong USB code? Go to BASIC, enter the following and let me know what number it returns when you tap the trackpad:

Code: Select all

PRINT INKEY(8000)
You might need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the issue. It will probably be a single tap, double tap or two finger tap.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:

-Regarding the BASIC command, I sometimes get a 9, but it's hard to get...
I am also having stuck-keys, like in thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... until I press the letter again.
-Regarding the video issue: yes, I am using your custom 50Hz mode. If I wouldn't be using it, I wouldn't be having perfect scroll in most games.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm -Regarding the BASIC command, I sometimes get a 9, but it's hard to get...
A 9 is a Left mouse click, how that would result in a "B" on the keyboard I have no idea!
Vanfanel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm I am also having stuck-keys, like in thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... until I press the letter again.
It's either power issues, or USB data is being missed/dropped. Do you have anything plugged into USB other than the pi-top hub?
Vanfanel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm -Regarding the video issue: yes, I am using your custom 50Hz mode.
What's the issue, you didn't actually say?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Nothing plugged on the USB, other than the Pi-top.
Also, the video issue is that there's a "jump" every 8 seconds or so on finescrolling sequences in some games. But only in some games: Fireball II tittle screen (scrolling text), Pac Mania (tittle screen scrolling film-like squares), etc... It only seems to happen with your custom 50Hz 1360x760 video mode: it does't happen with hdmi_mode=31.
Maybe the custom video mode timings could be adjusted somehow?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 am there's a "jump" every 8 seconds or so on fine scrolling sequences in some games. But only in some games: Fireball II title screen (scrolling text), Pac Mania (title screen scrolling film-like squares), etc... It only seems to happen with your custom 50Hz 1360x760 video mode: it does't happen with hdmi_mode=31.
Microstutter then. As its not occurring in 1080p @ 50hz, the timing for the custom mode might be drifting out slightly. I don't think there's anything I can do to magically fix it, but I'll have a look.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Yeah, microstutter is the word... sorry, I had forgotten, bacause you got ADFFS to work PERFECT in the standard 50Hz modes years ago, so I had not seen them since then. English is not my native language (I think you guessed that by now anyway :D)

There are games that don't show microstutter, like HeroQuest intro scrolling text. So maybe the timing drift affects some games but not others... strange thing, but at least that could be used to come up with a solution.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've had a look at both the Pac-Mania and Fireball II title screens in debug mode, neither are frame swapping, so its not actually microstutter but tearing where the blitter is grabbing the frame mid-update. Short of modifying the game itself, I don't think there's anything I can do to fix the issue.

Its certainly unrelated to pi-top utilities or the 50hz hdmi_mode, so probably warrants a dedicated thread in the ADFFS development forum if a resolution is required.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Timo, I've rolled in your changes for pi-top2 hub support. Could you please try the attached (now removed) and confirm it detects the hub and works correctly.

It might also be worth seeing if the HID driver works, by changing the pitopUtils$DeviceID entry in !Run to match your keyboard. Let me know what the device ID is so I can add detection support for it.

If it doesn't work could you provide a USBDecriptors dump of it so I can see the endpoint descriptor.

EDIT: There appears to be an issue with this version as I've noticed the keyboard sometimes doesn't work.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 am I've had a look at both the Pac-Mania and Fireball II title screens in debug mode, neither are frame swapping, so its not actually microstutter but tearing where the blitter is grabbing the frame mid-update. Short of modifying the game itself, I don't think there's anything I can do to fix the issue.

Its certainly unrelated to pi-top utilities or the 50hz hdmi_mode, so probably warrants a dedicated thread in the ADFFS development forum if a resolution is required.
How comes the deffect happens ONLY when the Pi is connected to the PiTop?? :roll:
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Initial tests look good. However It seems that the keyboard functtion keys are not working as expected. I will send the text file in a moment. Code review looks good as well