pi-topUtils 1.05

Keyboard/HID driver and battery indicator for pi-top laptops
Vanfanel

Re: pi-top utilities

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I don't have any other software trying to attach HID devices.
The Fn+volume keys don't do anything after the system hangs (the system DOES hang: if I'm playing a music module using QTM, for example, it stops).

In fact, if I load the Pitop-Utils module, the system also hangs when I click the mouse most of the times (it does NOT hang if I comment out the module loading in !Run as you told me, OR if I have another USB mouse connected, which is strange, but it hangs anyway if I press the PiTop key, even if nothing more is connected).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I need to know if the Fn+volume keys alter the volume, do nothing or hang the machine. Another way of testing is, do the function keys work. Ie does F12 go the command prompt or do you have to press Fn+F12 to get the command prompt?

I'm trying to establish if the Module has actually attached to the keyboard device.

One other test you can do directly after loading the Module, do the A-Z keys work? And what happens if you press one of the multimedia keys up the top right of the keyboard. Repeat the test without loading the Module and see if it behaves the same.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:
-With the module loading active on the !Run, if I double-click on Pitop-Utils and press ANY key, the system hangs. (I thought it was only the PitTop key hanging the system, but it's ANY key!)
-With the module loading commented out on the !Run, if I double-click on Pitop-Utils and press ANY key, the system does not hang when I press a key, but the keyboard-related features (direct F<whatever> usage without Fn, for example) don't work, as expected.

No way to tell if F12 brings the CLI without Fn when the module is loaded, because as I said the system hangs.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I really have no idea why it's hanging. The BASIC test program does exactly the same thing as the Module, with the exception of not translating the key press and if there was an issue with that, it would also hang on mine.

I'm going to have to create a debug version for us to get any further, bare with me as that's not as easy as it sounds.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Debug Module build attached (now removed), just drop it in replacing the original.

Download !Reporter and run it before loading !pi-topUtils. Once !Reporter is running, run !pi-topUtils then press a key. Let me know the last three "pi-top:" events shown in Reporter after it hangs.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: This is funny! The DEBUG version you have uploaded works as expected: NO HANGS, and PI-Top key works as middle-mouse button!

Did you change anything else while you produced this version??
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:28 pm Did you change anything else while you produced this version??
No, no changes from the previous build other than the debug code being added. Attached (now removed) is a non-debug build if you'd like to confirm it works without the debug code.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I don't get it, really. This non-debug version you just uploaded does not crash anymore either! It works fine!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Who knows! Now that we know it works I'll look at adding automatic detection of the keyboard and a means to configure the middle mouse button.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: There are other small problems with the PiTop, not related to the PiTopUtils but with the PiTop, still you are the only person I can ask these things:
-Can you please try to reproduce the small hiccups I am seeing with some ADFFS games on the PiTop only?
For example, Pac-Mania tittle screen with the scrolling film-like graphics, Fireball II scrolling text...
Other games DON'T show this problem, like HeroQuest scrolling text, that's perfectly smooth with no hiccups.
What could make PacMania and Fireball II different?
-There's still the problem that I get a 'B' character sometimes if I tap on the trackpad. Can you see that? You must have an editor open to see it.