Lemmings (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Download games the project has approval to release
Qjimbo

Re: Lemmings (1991) (Krisalis Software)

Post by Qjimbo »

Interesting - first time I ran it it worked, I got a white on black star prompt. Then I pressed enter and got an about on data transfer error. I did the same command again and just got a black screen, and then the same error returning to the desktop. No doubling though either time. Rebooted and did it again and it looks fine, no doubling.

I tried running "ADFBootFloppy" while in this state (looked up the ADF commands with "help ADF." - amazed I can still remember star commands!) and it didn't do anything.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Mount the Lemmings floppy and try the following from F12:
GOS
<ADFFS$DIR>.obey.F1022701

If Lemmings crashes and you don't see a dump screen, type the following:
JITSHOWREGS
Qjimbo

Post by Qjimbo »

JonAbbott wrote:Mount the Lemmings floppy and try the following from F12:
GOS
<ADFFS$DIR>.obey.F1022701

If Lemmings crashes and you don't see a dump screen, type the following:
JITSHOWREGS
No crashes with this command - however the same doubling issue remains, but the game does function normally asides from appearing about 6 times all over the screen each one with different flickering and some with palette issues, but this is definitely progress!

I then tried the ADFRemapVideoMemory 12 160 command and then those commands, and it crashed. Here is the JITSHOWREGS output, if it's any use:
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ZIP up your !Boot.Loader directory and email it to me so I can try it on my Pi: jon at jaspp dot org dot uk

Another think you can try is a clean boot, by holding SHIFT during the boot.
Qjimbo

Post by Qjimbo »

Shift didn't work - emailed you the !Boot folder, thanks! It took me a little bit of time to figure out since !ZipEE doesn't work on 32bit, had to use !Infozip instead.
gareth

Post by gareth »

Hi,

I've got an issue loadng Lemmings.

I've got RC15 (with the nightly ROM build from a couple of days ago), adffs261. I've disabled GPU mode change support.

If I follow the usual route of launching Lemmings, i.e. Run !ADFFS, double click the lemmings disk and select "Boot Floopy" I get a black screen with a command prompt and nothing else. Pressing enter returns to the desktop. I can re-create this every time.

If I run the obey script for lemmings it works without issue.

I get something similar for Cannon Fodder, except that gives and error rather than a black screen.

Any idea why booting from Floppy fails but running the obey script works?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

P.S. Once I get up to speed with what's going on I'll be really happy to help with the project in any way I can.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

gareth wrote:Any idea why booting from Floppy fails but running the obey script works?
Do you have SparkFS loaded?
gareth

Post by gareth »

I thought I did. Does it start if you open a zip file or do you need to do something else? Does the obey script start it if it's not running?

Thanks
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

gareth wrote:Does the obey script start it if it's not running?
No, the scripts in Obey.zip (ie !ADFFS.Obey) will not be available if SparkFS isn't running. ADFFS will attempt the following when Booting a floppy:
  1. Execute a script that matches the floppy ID from !ADFFS.Obey
  2. Run the script embedded in the JFD file (which is probably out of date and not suitable for a Pi)
  3. Emulate SHIFT-BREAK if !BOOT exists in the root of the floppy
PS The requirement for SparkFS to be loaded is something I plan to fix at some point, ADFFS uses another compression Module internally for the floppy image decompression, but it's missing the file system extension needed to get at the Obey files.
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Editted to say, solved. I had used 'AnyMode' in the past. That cures it for me.

I've just had to use a fresh image on my Pi and I have the 'double image' on screen problem. The game (Lemmings) worked with my previous image install and same monitor (Dell 2405FPW). I do think I was using my own MDF though, as opposed to EDID. Maybe :)

Anybody any idea what I haven't done this time around?

Default config.txt;

Code: Select all

fake_vsync_isr=1
framebuffer_swap=0
gpu_mem=64
init_emmc_clock=100000000
ramfsfile=CMOS
ramfsaddr=0x508000
kernel=RISCOS.IMG
and the cmdline.txt;

Code: Select all

disable_mode_changes